Sunday, December 19, 2010

Game 55: United Township vs. Assumption (Boy's Basketball)

Game 55
United Township vs. Assumption (Boy's Basketball)
Iowa/Illinois Shootout
(12/18/10)


After feasting in the hospitality room, it was back to the booth for another equipment switcheroo. I wanted to make sure all of the radio equipment was packed away, for a quick escape after a long, long day.



I filled out my scorebook and gathered some information for the broadcast with United Township and Assumption. It helped that I had just seen UTHS the night before in Galesburg.

Following my "homework," I began compiling my holiday tournament schedules. I will be placing a special holiday tournament schedule/scoreboard on IHSSN. It will be difficult to keep up with, due to my schedule during this time, but I will put my best foot forward, so to say.

The Moline/Davenport West game went down to the wire, and then some. The Maroons pulled off the 46-44 overtime win. I was able to get some video highlights, that will be posted at some point at IHSSN.

United Township jumped out to an early 16-10 lead over Assumption, out of Davenport. The Knights came back in a flurry, outscoring the Panthers 23-11 in the 2nd quarter, and Assumption held a 33-27 halftime lead.

In fact, Assumption had jumped out to a 53-39 lead late in the 3rd quarter. It took a Damon Overton buzzer beating 25-foot shot to pull United Township within 11 points to start the 4th quarter.

The run was on after that. United Township outscored Assumption 20-7 in the final quarter, to claim a 62-60 victory. Overton finished with a game-high 21 points for the Panthers. Tayvian Johnson added 20 points, and Nic Hoepfner added 12 points. Billy Daniel scored a team-high 20 points for Assumption, while Peter Finn added 19 points.

United Township's win meant Illinois would win the Genesis/PSP Iowa/Illinois Shootout for the third straight year. In fact, Iowa has not won the shootout since 2004. The series was tied in 2007 and 2005. This year was the first 7-game shootout. There were six games from 2005-09. It was a five-game event from 1997-2004. Four games were held in 1996, and the first two events were just three-game affairs.

Name of the Game: I have to go with Assumption's J.T. Vonderhaar (Von-Dur-Har) over United Township's Avery Pearl.

No comments:

Post a Comment