Sunday, December 19, 2010

Game 54: Galesburg vs. Bettendorf (Boy's Basketball)

Game 54
Galesburg vs. Bettendorf
Iowa/Illinois Shootout
(12/18/10)


After broadcast #53, I had to do an equipment switcheroo. This is why I took the Geneseo/Davenport Central game off. Along with switching out equipment, I needed to do a little extra homework on the Bettendorf Bulldogs, and get the pregame interview with Galesburg coach Mike Reynolds.



During the Geneseo/Central game, I found coach Reynolds, after the Silver Streaks arrived to the Carver Center, and recorded the pregame interview.

My broadcast setup was not exactly the best situation. When I arrived at the gym in the morning, there were name tags affixed to each end of the media table. Thinking the other seats were open, and my name was not attached, I plopped down in the middle in one of the open spots.

Later, I discovered that they were name tags from a previous game, not for today's shootout. This was learned after all of my equipment was situated and I was broadcasting, so I stayed in this location.

When the WGIL guys came, I suggested they sit to my left, with Aaron Brenner being a "sound barrier" between us. With more room to the right, they sat on the other side. This is a setup we have to do on occasion on the road, with the color commentators (Jimmie Carr & Jim Lee) sitting in the middle, and the two play-by-play announcers on the ends. This worked just fine.

Bettendorf is coached by former Iowa Hawkeyes player Kevin Skillett. It was raining three's for the Silver Streaks, reminiscent of the girl's team. Galesburg hit five of them in the first quarter.

Late in the first quarter, I noticed Galesburg had a #44 on the floor. It was Chad Thompson, who had to change out of his #23 due to some blood. The #44 jersey would have belonged to Ryan Ricketts, but he decided to focus on getting ready for college football next season, after dealing with an injury at the start of the hoops season.

The Streaks led 31-21 at halftime and cruised to a 56-36 win over the Bulldogs. Aslan Butler had a big game for the Silver Streaks, scoring 5 points and pulling down 7 rebounds. He was 5-6 from the free throw line and was named our First Glass "Breakout Player of the Game." Brandon Thompson scored a game-high 22 points, after being held to just 10 points the night before against United Township. Bettendorf had just one player score in double-digits, as Nick Hughes finished with 10 points.

Name of the Game: Bettendorf's (6'3" So.) Nick Heimendinger (Hy-men-dinger).

At the conclusion of the contest, Jimmie Carr and I headed down to the hospitality room. Jimmie didn't stick around, since he had dinner plans, but I dove into some Famous Dave's pulled pork and baked beans. I went for seconds!

Faces in the Crowd: Hospitality room consisted mostly of media folk when I was inside. That included; Pete Ivanic (in charge of media at the shootout), WHBF TV's Jay Kidwell, and Don Doxsie and Doug Green of the Quad City Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment