Sunday, December 19, 2010

Game 56: Rock Island vs. North Scott (Boy's Basketball)

Game 56
Rock Island vs. North Scott (Boy's Basketball)
Genesis/PSP Iowa/Illinois Shootout @ Augustana College
(12/18/10)


The final game of the night pits the Lancers of North Scott against the Rocks of Rock Island. Both games come in undefeated. Rock Island is (8-0) while North Scott is (5-0).

Rock Island broadcasts games online through iHigh. The two broadcasters set up next to me, and we talked a little bit before the game. Since I cover the Western Big 6, I am able to keep up with the Rocks through their site. They also do an interview segment with head coach Thom Sigel on a weekly basis.



The Rocks jumped out to a 17-10 lead after the first quarter, and would cruise to a 67-41 win. Two of the first three baskets by the Rocks were slam dunks, including a steal and dunk by Romal Davis. Stanford-bound Chasson Randle finished with 13 points and went 6-6 from the free throw line for Rocky. Denzel McCauley (6'8" Jr.) scored 15 points, and pulled down 9 rebounds. North Scott was led by Aaron Huber's 12 points.

Neither team turned the ball over much, with Rock Island committing 13 turnovers, and the Lancers turned it over 10 times. North Scott went 14-16 from the free throw line, and Rock Island went 15-21 from the line.

Shocking Stat: Rock Island out-rebounded North Scott 45-18!

Afterwards, I had to wait for the iHigh broadcasters to wrap up, because I failed to think ahead when they were setting up. I had them plug into my power strip, instead of one of the power strips already at the gym. It wasn't too bad, I only had to wait 5 or 10 minutes after I had finished packing. Forward thinking, next time!

One of my favorite things to do at the conclusion of a tournament or shootout, is to look back at the unique names on the rosters. Without further review, I unveil the IHSSN All-Name Team, complete with a 6th man, head coach, and coaching staff.

IHSSN's Genesis/PSP Shootout All-Name Team
Chuck Rocker (Riverdale)
Nick Heimendinger (Bettendorf)
Darren Stringfellow (Davenport West)
Archie Britcher (North Scott)
Royce Muskeyvalley (Rock Island)

Head Coach: Shamus Budde (North Scott)
Assistant: David Robinson (United Township)

Teams Seen
After tonight, I have watched 81 different varsity basketball teams.

Goal
I have now reached 37.3% of my goal of 150 broadcasts, at the end of 5 weeks. There are 18 weeks in the season.

Game 56 Miles: 85

No comments:

Post a Comment