Sunday, December 5, 2010

Game 35: Sacred Heart-Griffin vs. Champaign Centennial (Boy's Basketball)

Game 35
Sacred Heart-Griffin vs. Champaign Centennial (Boy's Basketball)
Athleticare/1450 Shootout (Springfield)
12/4/10


The toughest thing about blogging about each game I broadcast, is when broadcasting multiple games in one day. You may be wondering why that is. I learned very early on in last year's Quest for the Century Club, that in recapping the games (which I started doing the first few games), it was very boring. In fact, after I re-read the first three game blogs, I realized that nobody would want to read this.



That's when I decided to take an approach and blog more about the people I talked to, the things I see on the road, share old broadcasting memories, or things heard around the gym. That makes for a more interesting read.

When I decided to begin blogging last year about my quest, I took a page from many different blogs, and still do. The biggest attraction I have to various blogs, is the personalization. Many fellow media members have blogs, and many coaches have blogs. The ones I visit most, provide the best information and thoughts. Some of the people I read often may be people I interact with several times a week. What makes that blog more interesting? In the day-to-day world, we often do not get the chance to really dig deep and talk in-depth with our acquaintances.

That's what makes today's "six-pack" of games the toughest. Most of the day, I have a headset strapped to my head, and I do not get the chance to speak with coaches or fans, or overhear things in the crowd.

The third game of the shootout featured (Springfield) Sacred Heart-Griffin against Champaign Centennial. Since SHG is known as a football-school, and Centennial is coming off of some impressive postseason runs in recent years, I thought the Chargers would run away with this game.

Centennial features (6'8" Sr.) Josh Piper, who is attracting some low level to mid-major Division-One interest. He was impressive today, finishing with 32 points, and had a soft touch at the free throw line, going 10-10.

The Cyclones jumped out to a 18-11 lead after a quarter, with some hot shooting by Jarrod Sergent, who scored 8 points in the first frame. However, Sacred Heart-Griffin struggled in the 2nd quarter, mustering only 5 points, but held a 23-19 lead at the break.

Centennial trailed by 4 points starting the 4th quarter, but rallied back to tie the game, and send the contest into overtime at 44-44. It was the Jarrod Sergent Show in overtime, as he accounted for all of the Cyclones points (5) in the extra session, lifting them to the 49-48 overtime victory. Sergent finished with 16 points. Piper scored a game-high 32 points for Centennial.

The All-Name Team
(couldn't just single my favorite name out)
Nick Moscardelli (Sacred Heart-Griffin)
Cody Baltusevich (Sacred Heart-Griffin)
Terrance Napper (Centennial)
Emmanuel Richter-Shea (Centennial)
Javonte LeShoure (Centennial)

No comments:

Post a Comment