Sunday, December 5, 2010

Game 34: Chatham Glenwood vs. Troy Triad (Boy's Basketball)

Game 34
Chatham Glenwood vs. Troy Triad (Boy's Basketball)
Athleticare/1450 Shootout (@ Springfield)
12/4/10


A big thanks to Al Hartwig for sending me his compilation of boy's basketball schedules, it will be very, very useful on planning weekend trips and weekday games that are out of my immediate area. He clued me in on this shootout at Springfield Prairie Capital Convention Center.

Kudos to the people who lined up the teams at this shootout. I know that Jason Speaks of Illinois Basketball Services had a big hand in the shootout. Several Division-One players would be showcased throughout the day.

These trips are my favorites, and probably for my readers, get more enjoyment out of the blogs because I have more time on the road to see things, think about things, and encounter strange occurrences. The setup of this blog is sort of an "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac meets "Beyond the Boxscore" by Matt Schuckman (Quincy Herald-Whig blog).

My plans were to head out of town at 9:00 a.m. and be in Springfield shortly before 11:00. This would give me time to find a parking spot, get setup, etc. before my first broadcast at noon.

Before I left town, I grabbed my typical morning coffee (a large today, due to the road trip), and stopped at K-Mart for my bulk pickup of Vitamin C and throat lozenges. I grabbed a pack of strawberry flavored Vitamin C drops, citrus Vitamin C drops, and strawberry swirl (or something like that) throat lozenges. In the store, I ran into Rich Egger from Tri-States Radio and we briefly discussed the Cubs offseason options. We were both in agreement over the choice of Mike Quade as the next Cubs skipper.

One thing I like about Saturday morning road trips are the coaches shows on radio stations. Driving Route 67 and Route 97 down to Springfield, I knew I could pickup something, whether it be out of Pittsfield (WBBA), Quincy (WGEM), or Jacksonville (WVIL). Sure enough, as I passed through Rushville I stopped on 97.5 WBBA, and listened to Jack Hull interview Carrollton Hawks basketball coach Jeff Krumweide. I first met "Coach K" last summer during the American Legion baseball division tournament in Moline. He is the head coach of the Eldred team. He led Eldred to the Division tournament, which was the first year for Legion baseball in Eldred/Carrollton in at least 50 years. Before the Eldred/Galesburg game, the coin flip (for home team purposes) was held in the grass behind the stands and concessions at Black Hawk College. The coin was thrown into the air...into the grass. It landed half heads, half tales. It was a unique coin flip!

When I was getting things in order before I left for home, I noticed my calendar in my office. December remains empty, because I haven't filled out my schedule yet (it's on the to-do list). I imagined what the calendar will look like after my broadcast schedule is finalized for the month. Glancing at the "December 2010," I thought...it's gonna be a long December. Of course, the Counting Crows instantly played in my mind, with their hit, "A Long December." After listening to WBBA's coaches show, I continuously hit the scan on my radio until finding something worth listening to. No offense to WBBA, their show following the coaches corner was an outdoors show, not my cup of tea. Guess what song came on? "A Long December." I had to listen, as it set the tone, not only for the entire month, but my long December day!

After gassing up in Pleasant Plains at Casey's, I flipped on AM 1450, who sponsored the shootout, they were getting set to go on with the first game of the day, Cairo vs. Springfield Calvary. They mentioned that Cairo had just arrived, after playing in DuQuoin on Friday night. Interestingly enough, the Pilots would play their game in Springfield, and then head back to DuQuoin and play AGAIN on Saturday night. By the way, former Lanphier standout and Fighting Illini Rich McBride is the new head coach at Cairo.

Little did I know, getting to the Prairie Capital Convention Center would be easier than expected! For some reason, I tend to get lost EVERY time I go to Springfield. Not only Springfield...every time I've gone to the Riverton Shootout, I've gotten lost either going to, or coming from, Riverton. EVEN with a Garmin!

Funniest Sign: A Springfield Casey's General Store had a sign out front touting: "Donuts and Beer Now Here." Forget Wheaties...Casey's introduces your new Breakfast of Champions!

I had an interesting conversation with the parking lot attendant...

(Pulling up to the attendant)
Attendant: "Parking is $5."
Me: "Is there a lot for media?"
Attendant: "No, this is the only parking lot, it's $5."
Me: "Okay." (handed him a $10 bill)
Attendant: "It's $5."
Me: (curiously looking at him after handing him a ten). "Can you tell me where the pass gate is?"
Attendant: "Oh, I don't know that, I just work for the parking lot."
Me: "Okay...how about the entrance?"
Attendant: "Oh...the entrance...yeah, it's right over there (pointing across the street). I didn't understand when you said pass gate, you must be from Chicago."
Me: "Well...from the north, thanks for the help."

I think we were both equally confused!

There was no pass gate (which is the gate where media/coaches/teams have quick access to sign in), just a general entrance. I found Jason Speaks, and I set up on press row.

Chatham Glenwood and Troy Triad lacked some offense in the early going of the noon game. It was just 6-5 after the first quarter. The Titans, playing in their own backyard, scored 13 points in the 2nd quarter, and led 18-14 at halftime. Tyler Thurston (6'4" Jr.) had 11 of Glenwood's 18 points. Glenwood would go on to defeat the Knights, 52-36.

Thurston finished with a game-high 16 points, and was named the game's MVP. Nick Sharp added 13 points, and Craig Fuchs scored 11 points. Triad was led by Jake Lewis with 13 points.

Name of the Game: I chose Miles McAdams (6'0" So.) from Glenwood over Triad's Tyler Noyes (6'3" Jr.).

Game 34 Miles: 85

No comments:

Post a Comment