Sunday, December 5, 2010

Game 36: Decatur MacArthur vs. Rich South (Boy's Basketball)

Game 36
Decatur MacArthur vs. Rich South (Boy's Basketball)
Athleticare/1450 Shootout (@ Springfield)
12/4/10

It's probably been mentioned in an earlier blog, but this will certainly be the last year for a "Quest." It is very much fun, however stressful at the same time. In my early, early plans for 2011-12, I still plan on taking these types of road trips to see some of the best teams in the state, but my weekday broadcast schedule will be scaled down, in order to better prepare my broadcasts.



I will be the first to admit, that in broadcasting as many games as I do, the quality of my broadcasts is certainly not where it should be. I still do my homework on teams, and try to find as much information as possible...but with my limited time, and large amount of games, that time is lacking. It's days like today, several games back-to-back, when this issue is heightened.

Sitting courtside can be adventurous at times, with wayward basketballs flying out of the court of play...or even worse...flying basketball PLAYERS. Of the 30 players combined that had jerseys adorning a MacArthur General or Rich South Star, the one player I would not want crashing into my location on press row was MacArthur's Chaz Rice (6'4" about 250 lbs). Sure enough, in the second half, we were introduced. Rice came crashing into my broadcast location courtside at the Prairie Capital Convention Center, as I did my best to break his fall...and protect my equipment. Fortunately, nobody was hurt in the incident...except my mixer board. It continued to work, although my microphone cable and jack had been bent on Rice's fall. At least it wasn't my computer! I haven't listened back to the tape, but I am sure it will be an interesting listen, since I had to take a moment to pickup the crowd microphone, resposition the table, and pick up my strewn papers.

Rich South's Macari Brooks (committed to DePaul) put on a show, with a couple of slam dunks, including a highlight reel breakaway windmill slam. Brooks finished with 26 points and led the Stars to a 53-35 win. His teammate, Vernon Young, added 15 points. MacArthur was led by Darren Gray, who knocked down five three-pointers, and finished with 15 points.

After the game, Greg Behrens sat down next to me on press row. We discussed some of the talent in this shootout, as well as IHSSN. He mentioned he used to do the same thing I did, as far as going out and working for free in covering high school events. He said now he has to at least cover his expenses, with two kids in college. I replied that being single, all I have to worry about is frozen pizza and Ramen noodles (although, I gave up Ramen in college).

No comments:

Post a Comment