Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Only a Blizzard Can Slow Down the Quest

Route 34 in Monmouth
Blizzard of 2011
(2/1/11)

Tonight was scheduled to be the 119th broadcast in the Quest 2: 150.  The game was to be Annawan @ United in the Lincoln Trail Conference Tournament.

Stoplight at County Market in Monmouth on Rt. 34
No surprise the game was cancelled, in fact it was looking like the Tuesday and Wednesday games of this week would be weathered out as early as the weekend. 

As I type this, the Blizzard of 2011 is rearing its ugly head.  This is exciting, and as I ponder that statement, it makes no sense as to my rationale behind the excitement of 20 inches of snow, 40 mph wind gusts, and sub-zero temperatures.

Life's a Ditch Sometimes
During the summer, I prefer to sit out on my back deck with the Cubs game on, under the bright sun when the heat index soars well into the triple digits.  I spent 12 hours covering ASA softball in Springfield last summer when the heat index reached 115 degrees, but I'm excited about a blizzard?

Growing up, I had heard so many stories about the Blizzard of '79, and how it was the worst ever.  I was not around for that winter storm, but the stories fascinated me.  I've never had that Blizzard of '79 moment.  Here it is!

With a room at the Monmouth Super 8 motel booked, I spent some extra time at work catching up on things, then decided to travel around town in the middle of the storm to take some pictures and video.  I want to experience this storm, and tell the stories that I have heard so often about 1979.  I certainly don't want to say, "I sat in the recliner and watched it on TV for three days."  That's not my style.
Downtown Monmouth

So my memory of the Blizzard of 2011 that will stick out is eating Chinese take-out at the Monmouth Super 8, with only the Internet, as the TV completely went out shortly into my stay.

Someone asked me earlier in the day if this storm will affect the Quest.  It will not.  It will take a couple games away, but I am confident that the Quest will be reached.

The Illinois High School Sports Network Coaches Polls are compiled and published.  Boy's RankingsGirl's Rankings.

The take out from Chen's Garden was good, as usual.  I ordered the Sweet & Sour Chicken with fried rice.  My fortune wasn't really a fortune.  It read: "You are sociable and entertaining."  I only hope so!  If you are feeling lucky, play these numbers: 5, 6, 14, 34, 39, and 42.  I should pass them along to my buddy, Jimmie Carr, he's a lotto man.

It's shortly after 11:00 p.m. when I type this, and glancing out my window I notice a snow drift has reached the hood of my Explorer.  4:30 a.m. is going to come very early!  I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment