Monday, January 31, 2011

Game 118: Havana @ South Fulton (Girl's Basketball)

V.I.T. High School Gymnsasium in Table Grove
Game 118
Havana @ South Fulton (Girl's Basketball)
(1/31/11)

The odds of getting games in on this Monday night ahead of an expected blizzard was getting slimmer and slimmer as the afternoon began.  Many schools in the Jacksonville/Quincy areas were getting dismissed early, and some games in western Illinois were getting cancelled.  Fortunately, the Havana/South Fulton game was on.

To make sure, I sent a note to V.I.T./Astoria athletic director Steve Kelly to make sure everything was on.  As of 2:00, it was a go.  Monmouth had received about an inch of powdery snow in the afternoon, and areas south were getting freezing rain.

When I pulled up to V.I.T. High School outside of Table Grove, I realized that I have never broadcasted a game here, never even been inside the gym.  I broadcasted a football game here back in 2004 between the South Fulton Rebels and B-PC/A Spartans.

I walked through the doors, and headed toward the gym.  A couple of people were very helpful and showed me to where I needed to be.   First, I spoke with South Fulton fresh/soph coach Brian Porter, and then varsity head coach Carl Beebe.  They had me all set up with my broadcast location on the stage. 

South Fulton seniors
My buddy Shelby Burget from the McDonough Voice arrived, and took a seat next to me on the stage.  We chatted during the sophomore game, mostly about how hard to believe that it's the final week of the regular season in girl's basketball already.  We also spoke about each of our plans for work while the expected snowfall of 12-20 inches was expected to come our way.

It was Senior Night at South Fulton, and the Rebels honored six seniors.  All six of the seniors are members of the National Honor Society!  The South Fulton seniors are; Tiffany Churchill, Chelsea Burgard, Laci Porter, Liz Engel, Haley Bent, and Sarah Adcock.

The Havana team was in front of my broadcast location, with a couple of the girls trying to figure out a handshake. 

Havana head coach Jerry Wilson was the girl's basketball coach at Astoria (part of the South Fulton co-op) from 1988-89 thru 1991-92.  According to Shelby Burget, Wilson was the boy's basketball coach at Astoria in the mid-to-late 1970's.  Wilson just picked up his 450th win earlier this season.  He is now (456-206), after the win at South Fulton tonight.

For some reason, there were some difficulties with my online stream at the start of the game, delaying my broadcast to the late stages of the 1st quarter.  Once I restarted my computer, things were up and running fine.  An equipment issue also delayed the start of the Havana/South Fulton girl's game last season in Havana.  That issue was with my mixer board, having a faulty adapter.

South Fulton took a 12-10 lead after the 1st quarter, but the Ducks came back in the 2nd quarter and led 24-22 at halftime.  Havana was 9-10 from the free throw line at the break, however they got into some foul trouble.  The Ducks had committed 7 fouls in the 1st quarter.  Another issue was turnovers, a problem that Havana doesn't typically have, turning the ball over 9 times in the first half.

The Ducks were dry in the 3rd quarter, as South Fulton outscored Havana 12-0 in the first six minutes of the second half.  At the 2:05 mark, Havana scored on a Jill Friedrich basket, and Emily Eakle scored to give Havana a 4-0 run to end the 3rd quarter, trailing 34-28.

It was a back-and-forth 4th quarter, with Havana taking a momentary lead on a Samantha Ellsworth three-pointer.  The lead didn't last long, as on the very next posession, Carly Beebe answered to put the Lady Rebels back on top.  South Fulton would hang onto the lead, but Havana tied the game on a Brittany Parker three. 

With 0:08.1 on the clock, Jill Friedrich toed the half-court line, and it appeared she was nudged over, garnering a over-and-back call, and giving South Fulton posession in a tie game, 49-49.  The Rebels did not score, and the game went to overtime.

Havana Ducks
Ellsworth, Parker, and Macy Brown each hit three's in the overtime period, as both teams scored 10 points in overtime, sending the contest to a second overtime.  The Ducks outscored the Rebels, 7-4 and won in 2 overtimes, 66-63.  After the Friedrich turnover, the same result happened, benefitting Havana.  It appeared as though Destini Bollinger was pushed in the corner of the gym, but was called out of bounds. 

Havana turned the ball over 26 times, while South Fulton had 22 turnovers.  Carly Beebe scored a game-high 22 points, while Laci Porter added 14 points, and Haley Bent had 10 points in the Lady Rebels (25-4) loss.  Samantha Ellsworth scored a team-high 17 points, and Macy Brown scored 12 points for the Ducks (26-2).

After the game, Havana head coach Jerry Wilson telle me, "Sorry we're getting you home late!"  I said it was worth it!  Assistant coach Scott Meyers asks me what it is with me broadcasting their games and them going into overtime, mentioning the Class 1A Supersectional from 2008-09 against Brimfield, a game I broadcasted.

V.I.T.
Vermont, Ipava, Table Grove is what V.I.T. stands for.  The high school comprises one-half of the South Fulton co-op with Astoria.  V.I.T.'s mascot was the Hornets, while Astoria was the Pirates.

Game 118 Miles:  42

No comments:

Post a Comment