Thursday, January 13, 2011

Game 87: Brimfield vs. North Fulton (Boy's Basketball)

Game 87
Brimfield vs. North Fulton (Boy's Basketball)
ICAC Tournament (@ Williamsfield)
(1/12/11)

With my Sportsline show on 1590 WAIK (listen to the archived shows at www.1590waik.com)taking up a lot of my day, I was really pushing myself to get to Williamsfield in a timely manner.  Near the end of the day, I made a quick trip to the grocery store and picked up some spinach, fresh guava, orange juice, granola bars, and beef jerky.  I'm not a very good grocery shopper!



In fact, when I go grocery shopping, I get the same things because I am pretty handicapped in the kitchen.  I can do anything on a grill, but little in the kitchen.  I'm great with canned tuna, Bisquick, and frozen pizza, though...not in the same meal!

I still made it to the gym in plenty of time.  There was just one other person in the gym...or was there two.  As I walked in through the back door at the school (pass gate), I heard singing coming from the gym.  It was over the P.A. speakers.  It sounded like a little kid, and it was pretty eerie because there was nobody else in the gym.  As I walked across the gym, the singing stopped and it was a creepy whisper. I couldn't find the source of the voices anywhere, hoping they weren't in my head!  Then, as I set my equipment down on my table, I noticed a small shoe underneath the scorer's table.  It turned out to be Williamsfield coach Bob Anderson's grandson entertaining a crowd of...2, with his singing stylings.

Williamsfield assistant Sam Secrist stopped by and talked about his upcoming game against Galesburg, that looks to be played out next Wednesday.  The Galesburg sophomore coach is Ryan Hart, a Williamsfield alum and cousin to Secrist.  During the Williamsfield game later in the night, Hart sent me a tweet on Twitter (www.twitter.com/ihssn) that said; "Tell Sam that he is too loud and is ruining your broadcast."

Home of the Billtown Bombers.  Brimfield Indians warming up.
I really like the Williamsfield gym, as mentioned before in blogs from Billtown.  I asked coach Anderson when it was built, knowing it wasn't too old.  It was built for the 1981-82 season.  Coach Secrist says even during the 1997 season when Williamsfield went to the Class A State Finals, it was still hard to fill.  It's a large gym, and a very small school (70). 

North Fulton started the game hot, taking their first lead of the game, 11-10.  The Wildcats would lead the state-ranked and undefeated Brimfield Indians after one quarter (16-12) and halftime (23-22).

It was all Indians in the 3rd quarter, outscoring North Fulton 19-7.  In a span of less than 30 seconds, Jake Spietz scored 6 points, and had 2 steals.  He finished the game with a game-high 18 points, and Brimfield pulled off a 47-39 win, despite scoring just 6 points in the 4th quarter.  Danny Dwyer (12) and Nick Unes (11) also scored in double-digits for the Indians (17-0).  Jacob Edwards (12) was the only player for North Fulton to score in double figures.  North Fulton turned the ball over 16 times, while Brimfield committed just 7 turnovers. 

After the game, I went down to the hospitality room for a water, and grabbed a brownie to tide me over until I got home.

Game 87 Miles:  70

No comments:

Post a Comment