Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Game 100: Galesburg vs. Morton (Girl's Basketball)

Game 100
Galesburg vs. Morton (Girl's Basketball)
Mid-Winter Classic (@ Knox College)
(1/17/11)

The parking at Knox College isn't that great....to say the least!  Usually, I get lucky and get a decent parking spot across from the gym entrance.  Not the case today!  I had to park in the lot across the street, in the rain and sleet.



Walking across the street, I hurried as a school bus approached.  In doing so, I failed to notice the very large puddle of water!  Wet shoes and cold feet resulted.  A woman walking my way saw this happen just as I took the first step in, and said..."Oooooh."  Exactly. 

I thought I may have arrived later than I wanted, but the Alleman/Peoria Notre Dame had just finished up the first quarter of play.  I had filled out my scorebook during halftime of the previous game (Sterling/Warren), so I wasn't in too much of a rush with plenty of time.

After setting up the equipment, coach Evan Massey headed up and we did our pregame interview.  I asked where Morton head coach Bob Becker was, and he said that he had walked out a little earlier, possibly to the other gym.  I was able to catch up with coach Becker as the 4th quarter of the Alleman/Notre Dame began.  For those wanting some insight on either program, check out the following sites...

Massey Basketball:  Galesburg coach Evan Massey's Blog
Morton Lady Potters:  Website devoted to Lady Potter basketball

It's hard to believe that this is my 100th broadcast!  Last year, the 100th broadcast came on February 24th, during Regionals week for Class 1A/2A boy's.  Last year, I knew that 100 broadcasts would be easily attainable, as I had done 87 during the 2008-09 season without hardly trying.  Going into this year, I had a feeling that 150 broadcasts could be reached, however much more difficult.  I must say it's been a test, but moreso due to balancing a full-time work schedule, with updating various parts of the website, www.ihssn.net, and finding time to do the dishes and laundry!  It's certainly been a grueling test of time management.

Morton really smothered the Silver Streaks at the start of this content, holding Galesburg to just 9 first quarter points.  The Streaks are typically a hot offensive team in the opening eight minutes.  It was heading to be a low scoring affair, something Streaks fans are not accustomed to.  Galesburg was able to jump out to a 27-22 lead at halftime, and attempted only 7 three-pointers, but made 4 of them. 

Galesburg eventually finished with 23 three-point attempts....but still made just 4 shots, going 0-16 from outside the arc in the 2nd half, and Morton handed Galesburg their 4th loss of the year, 49-38.  The 38-point output is by far the lowest scoring game for the Silver Streaks this season.  The second lowest score they have on the season was 62 points.  The loss also snapped a 13-game winning streak for Galesburg.

The Streaks committed 22 turnovers, and forced 29 turnovers.  Morton went to the free throw line 25 times (15-25), while Galesburg went to the line just 14 times (9-14).  Jamie Johnson scored a game-high 13 points for the Silver Streaks, but Morton placed three girls in double figures; Sarah Livingston (11), Erin Tisdale (10), and Carly Crocker (10).

Sarah Livingston is the younger sister of Shaun Livingston of the Charlotte Bobcats.  She is a 6'1" sophomore, and as coach Becker said, needs to be more physical for the Lady Potters.

Rob Purlee led his Knox College Prairie Fire to the floor after the game and the men's basketball team held their practice.  The Galesburg/Morton game tipped off about 30 minutes later than scheduled, and before the game Purlee went to Massey smiling and pointing at his watch, signifying the late start. 

After packing up, I headed back to John Thiel Gymnasium and set up the equipment once again.  I also took down the IHSSN broadcast equipment and got everything packed up to get ready to head out after the Galesburg/York game that concluded the King Tournament.

Once I was finished organizing equipment, I made a beeline to the hospitality room, because at almost 4:00, I had not eaten anything since my two granola bars on the way to work at 6:00 a.m.  I was just in time, as the Pizza House had made a fresh delivery of sub sandwiches and pizza.  I grabbed a few subs, a couple slices of pizza, a bottled water, and filled out my scorebook.

Officials Joe Thompson, Aaron Furrow, and Jake Kilberg were also in the hospitality room, after officiating the Warren/Marian Catholic game.  Pete Thierry and Ray Pickrel also walked in.  They are familiar faces for fans that attend any sporting event in Galesburg.  The three of us talked about the Warren Blue Devils and the play of Darius Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment