Thursday, December 23, 2010

Game 63: Montini vs. Hononegah (Girl's Basketball)

Game 63
Montini vs. Hononegah (Girl's Basketball)
Sterling Shootout
12/22/10


I had the privilege of sitting around some very nice Hononegah fans for this game. They were friendly and complimentary.

Montini head coach Jason Nichols is one of the more colorful coaches I have seen. In fact, at some points, his more fiery moments are reminiscent of the Chris Farley character, Matt Flynn. Unfortunately for Nichols, one of his Farley moments garnered him a techincal foul in the game against Hononegah.



The technical did not lead to any big run by the Indians, and the Lady Broncos cruised to the 59-27 victory, putting a running clock on in the final minute.

Never would I thought how smoothly the day would go. The final game was scheduled to tip off at 6:00, and the game began about 30 minutes early. Always a favorite! When I mentioned this to Cody Cutter, he replied: "Good only when you are already at the gym." So true!

Montini was very balanced in the nightcap. Whitney Holloway scored 15 points, while Whitney Adams added 12 points. Other scoring came from; Kiki Wilson (9), Hailey Adams (8), Tianna Brown (5), Malayna Johnson (4), Kasey Reaber (2), Angela Taley (2), and Diamond Thompson (2). Brea Edwards scored a game-high 16 points.

The Lady Broncos finished 5-0 in the tournament, winning the Sterling Shootout. The team is now 14-0 on the season. Whitney Adams was named the MVP of the tournament.

Sterling Shootout All-Tournament Team

MVP: Whitney Adams (Montini)
Whitney Holloway (Montini)
Brea Edwards (Hononegah)
Lindsay Carroll (Hononegah)
Lauren Hernandez (Sterling)
Mariah Smith (Richwoods)
Marquisha Harris (Moline)

After packing up, I headed out. First stop was to get some fast food, even though I swore off fast food, I had a feeling being on the road several days it would re-enter my diet. I stopped at Wendy's and ordered off the dollar menu. Post game meal was a crispy chicken sandwich and a double stack.

Finally finding Route 40, and a couple of wrong turns (and driving the wrong way down a one-way), I found the Hillcrest subdivision north of Sterling and paid a visit to my old friend, Dale Dykeman, assistant volleyball coach for the Sterling Golden Warriors. We reminisced of our times at Western Illinois University, along with our days at Black Hawk East in Kewanee.

He had to show me his new toy, a 42-inch 3D TV. He put in The Dark Knight, and I could not believe how real it looked. It didn't even look like TV, amazing! I don't watch TV....but if I had a TV like that in my living room....I'd be lucky to get out and broadcast 15 games, let alone 150, LOL! I'd watch them on TV!

I headed out of Sterling shortly after 9:00, and hit I-88 to DeKalb. Not having any cash..or change on me, I drove through the I-Pass. I need to make note of this, so I can go online and pay the tolls, before I get a bill in the mail for $120 in missed tolls/fines....again. Lesson learned last winter!

Game 63 Miles: 65

No comments:

Post a Comment