Thursday, November 18, 2010

Game 9: Canton vs. Farmington (Girl's)

Game 9
Canton vs. Farmington (Girl's)
Fulton County Tournament
(11/18/10)


Sleeping in. A rarity. It was nice to get more than four or five hours of sleep on this Thursday. Admittedly, the rigors of this broadcast schedule could take a toll on me. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and that's what I work for. Never let up, the hard work will pay off.



One big struggle with the extensive broadcast schedule with the radio station, is balancing out the hours and working small shifts during the day. Time management is so crucial, and every minute counts. If you take anytime off, you get behind.

After sleeping in, I opted for a couple glasses of water in the morning instead of my typical coffee. Our local coffee fiend at work, Kyle Lester, brewed up a pot of coffee in the afternoon, so I went for a mid-afternoon jolt with a couple cups.

I took to the road at 4:00 to head over to Lewistown for the Fulton County Tournament. Most of the trip was spent on the phone, as IHSSN is looking to partner with Prep Sportswear.

The trip from Monmouth to Lewistown is mostly backroads, and has I turned onto Route 41, I noticed the gas gauge was pointing to "E" again. This happens all too often. I checked my mileage, and noticed that I have now driven 27,000 miles since January 1st. I gassed up at Casey's in Abingdon.

Working in radio, and spending a lot of my time in the car, I hit the seek button often. I came across a Christian radio station playing a Christmas song. It was very catchy, called, "It's Christmas With a Capital C." The song is by the band Go Fish. The song is about the reason for Christmas and it doesn't matter how people will try and censor the word Christmas to Holidays, it's still Christmas because it's the birth of Christ.

Driving into Lewistown from the north, the Indians football team was practicing underneath the lights, preparing for their Semi-Final playoff game this Saturday at home against Lena-Winslow.

It was about 5:15 when I headed into the gymnasium. I helped the janitor get a table for my broadcast setup at the top of the bowl. Lewistown is one of the nicest small school gyms. First off, the bowl is great. Even better, is the amount of Lewistown Indians murals around the gym. That, along with the school colors emblazoned throughout creates a great home gym atmosphere. The Prairieland Conference teams also have mascot murals along one wall.

Lewistown Principal Gavin Sronce stopped up before the Canton/Farmington game to make sure I had everything. He was also gracious and brought over a bottle of water.

Farmington is looking to have a promising season under head coach Jodi Rathbun. They bring back a lot of talent, including (6'0" Sr.) Rachel Stobaugh, along with Austyn Camp. Both were All-Conference selections in the Olympic last year. The Farmers have moved into the Prairieland Conference this season.

Rathbun has an impressive resume, playing collegiately at Arizona State University and was a member of the 1983 Team USA that went to the Jones Cup in Taiwan.

Farmington jumped out to a 13-10 lead after the first quarter, and led 22-17 at halftime. The Farmers would hold off a late charge by the Little Giants and prevail, 46-43. Stobaugh finished with 14 points, Sara Pille had 13 points, and Amber Haulk finished with 11 points for Farmington. Beth Wilson led Canton with 17 points and Michaela Kumer added 15 points for Canton.

My favorite name on the Canton roster is Nicole Drinkwater. I need to heed her last name's advice more often.

Game 9 Miles: 97


No comments:

Post a Comment