Thursday, November 18, 2010

Game 6: B-PC/A vs. Galva

Game 6
B-PC/A vs. Galva (Girl's)
Ridgewood Thanksgiving Tournament
(11/17/10)


Tonight would be a little tricky on the broadcasts, preparing two sets of equipment. The first game is originated on IHSSN, while the second game will be on Sunny 97.7 WMOI, and the final game of the night back on IHSSN.



With plenty of time before tip-off, I was at the gym at Alwood High School in Woodhull before either of the first teams. The Ridgewood Spartans JV girl's basketball team was practicing with Joel Zaiser leading the practice. Spartans varsity coach Bryan Brooks came up and chatted for a few minutes, talking about his team.

Brooks led Ridgewood to a 3rd place finish last season in the Class 1A state finals. He lost four of five starters, and brings two of his top six players from that squad.

I like my broadcast spot at Alwood, at the top of the bleachers with a table and an electrical outlet right behind me. When I worked for WHHK-Galva at the start of my career, we would broadcast from the stage. I just don't like broadcasting from stages, as you get a poor angle on much of the action, not to mention errant basketballs shoot your way on occasion.

The first game of the triple-header featured the Bushnell-Prairie City/Avon Spartans against the Galva Wildcats. Galva has struggled as a girl's basketball program throughout their history. In fact, I didn't realize that I had broadcasted their only sectional girl's basketball game in 2002-03 when I worked at the radio station in Galva. They played Ottawa Marquette in a Class A Sectional Semi-final at (Spring Valley) Hall.

Galva is under first-year coach Rick Cline, who is also the Soccer coach at Orion/Sherrard. He spent two seasons away as a basketball coach after leading Knoxville to a successful run. Rick and I got to know each other while he was at Knoxville and I was covering Olympic Conference basketball at WKAI in Macomb.

The Wildcats have some promising up-and-comers, but Cline told me before the game he has lost two of his top players to injury, Alex Strom (5'10" So.) and Skylar Savage (6'0" So.).

I am very familiar with B-PC/A. I haven't broadcasted the Spartans regularly for a few seasons, but I have continued to announce their Powder Puff football games during Homecoming Week, and have done some announcing at other scrimmages and Prom.

B-PC/A made a run to the Class A Sectional last year, and bring back most of their players including a pair of 1,000 point scorers (Bridjet Blout and Kendra Pierce). Galva picked up a big win the night before, defeating Monmouth-Roseville (55-48).

The Spartans jumped out to a 21-9 lead, and held a 39-15 halftime lead. Pierce had 15 points in the first half, and Sierra Van Tine added 7 first half points. Galva's Tayler Stewart had 10 points for Galva in the first half.

It was all B-PC/A in the second half, outscoring the Wildcats 24-5 on their way to a 63-20 victory. A running clock was instituted in the second half. Kendra Pierce scored a game-high 24 points. Bridjet Blout had 12 points, 7 rebounds. Sierra Van Tine had 7 points, 7 rebounds. Abby Stier finished with 9 points, 8 rebounds. Stewart finished with 10 points for Galva.

Vanessa Wetterling arrived during the game, and would be my broadcast partner for the next game, Monmouth-Roseville/United. She brought a bag of Starburst, and I don't think I have eaten this many Starburst since I was a kid. I haven't stocked up on those bags of Vitamin C drops and Halls yet.

Game 6 Miles: 68

No comments:

Post a Comment