Thursday, November 18, 2010

Game 5: Galesburg vs. Illini West

Game 5
Galesburg vs. Illini West (Girl's)
Galesburg Thanksgiving Tournament
(11/16/10)


I joked with both coaches before this game that it couldn't be more sloppy than last year's contest. The teams combined for over 80 turnovers, over 50 fouls, and just a bizarre game.



Each team brings back a bulk of their players, and Galesburg was trying out their new Grinnell-style offense for the first time in that game a year ago. Before the game, coach Massey asked how it would be possible to plug his camera to get our radio broadcast for the game film. I am not too sure on how it works, but I could get it figured out pretty easily. It would be more difficult at the home games, since we use the MARTI, but the radio signal is strong enough to pull it from a digital radio. On the road, using our mixer boards, it would be much simpler.

My friend Jimmie Carr is once again providing the color commentary on Streaks broadcasts. He provides great analysis for the games, and knows Silver Streaks basketball just about as much as anyone. He arrived early, still proudly wearing his Dallas Cowboys hat, despite their ugly season. Of course, the Cowboys decided to come alive against a team I was depending on to stay in first place in my fantasy football league, the New York Giants. Alas, one more reason to dislike the Cowboys, as my "Clever Team Name" fantasy football team is now in 2nd place.

As the season gets further in, I try to keep more stats than just the scorebook. I will begin to sprinkle in turnover stats and rebounding, but during the first week I just concentrate on scoring/free throws. With Galesburg, one statistic that is needed, is three-pointers attempted and made. The Streaks set several IHSA records last season, and even national records (three-pointers attempted in a season). The new state record for three-pointers attempted is 71, and Galesburg would come close in this game, as I had them with 60 attempts. The Galesburg Register-Mail pegged them at 61 attempts. The unfortunate thing...only six went down, and all of them in the first half.

The Silver Streaks were (0-25) from outside the three-point line in the second half. In the IHSA record books, Galesburg has 15 of the top 19 spots in three-pointers attempted. Tonight, their number puts them in the top three (depending on the actual amount). 61 attempts would tie them for 2nd with Herscher (2007-08), while 60 would tie them for 3rd with Galesburg (2008-09 vs. Effingham).

Galesburg started the game (2-4) from outside the three-point line, and Jessica Howard sank three of her four in the first quarter. She finished with 16 points. Sadee Hamilton put up 13 points down low to reach double figures for the Streaks. Illini West All-Stater Carter Wear finished with 25 points, and Tiffany Mohr and Lauren Gronewold added 12 points each.

Illini West would win, 82-68, despite coughing up over 40 turnovers. The Streaks led the game at halftime, 39-38. Galesburg sophomore Rainee Sibley had a nice night, playing in her first varsity game. She was brought up for her quickness and defense, but showed a little offense, finishing with 6 points, and hit a three-pointer.

Heading back, I took the "scenic route" to Macomb. For some reason, if I leave Galesburg High School and go into town to get food or gas, I take Route 41 (two lanes) back, while if I leave directly from the high school, I just jump on route 34 (four lanes) and cruise back. Tonight, I stopped at Mobil and took route 41.

The downside to taking the scenic route, is that it can be all too scenic in November. Bambi and Buck loom, especially between Avon and St. Augustine. As I approached a car, I set to pass thinking this probably is not a good idea. I see plenty of deer in this stretch in the valley north of Avon. Sure enough, as I was side-by-side, a bambi started for the highway, but made a dash back into the field. Phew! In all of my travels, I have only taken one deer out (yes I am knocking on wood right now). Luckily, I was in the station vehicle, and my own was spared. I clipped a deer on route 9 outside of Bushnell in 2005 coming back from the Spartan Tip-Off Classic.

As the hunters prepare for their deer stands, I wish them luck. Keep them off the roads and away from my fenders. And...remember your favorite play-by-play man, as he loves deer jerkey!

Game 5 Miles: 50


No comments:

Post a Comment