Monday, November 29, 2010

Game 29: United vs. (Biggsville) West Central (Boy's Basketball)

Game 29
United vs. (Biggsville) West Central (Boy's Basketball)
Williamsfield Tournament
(11/29/10)


Another open day that was filled, this time a doubleheader. Originally, I had planned on broadcasting the Annawan vs. River Ridge/Scales Mound girl's basketball game, with both teams ranked (or receiving votes) in the preseason rankings. That game was tipping off an hour early, and I didn't think I could make it in enough time. At any rate, that game ended in a blowout, and I was able to get two games in one night.



Before I left the house, I had my second scorebook laid out ready for later in the week, in what I thought would be my 30th game later this week. Due to filling out my scorebook early, one of the games filled in with the lineup was not used over the weekend at the Galesburg Tournament, so I had just one opening in my first scorebook. Before I left for Williamsfield, I made a copy of the blank sheet, and inserted them into the book.

With the stand-alone status of Williamsfield up in the air in the near-future, I am glad I was able to get to this tournament again, likely my last trip since Monmouth-Roseville will not be returning next November. In fact, the Williamsfield Thanksgiving Tournament was where I broadcasted my very first basketball game, in 2002. I still have the cassette, I need to take a listen to that game.

When I first arrived at the gym, the Henry/Galva game was a few minutes into the first quarter. I talked with Williamsfield assistant coach Sam Secrist for a moment, and headed to my broadcast table at the end of the first quarter.

Brian Robbins was my broadcast partner for the United/West Central game. He met me a few minutes after I arrived. Once we tested our levels, I think I have realized the cell phone issue I have talked about before. After talking with our general manager, Vanessa Wetterling, last week, it dawned on me during our conversation that it did have to be a problem in our studios. The problem has mainly occurred in our two studios with the same broadcast mixer board. I figured there had to be a button pushed that was sending feedback from the console at the studio back to our cell phone, hence shutting it down. Sure enough, as soon as our test began, the phone cut the call after we had the line secured for almost five minutes. When I told our engineer to turn one of the buttons in the off position, the rest of the night was just fine. Victory is mine!

There were a number of Lincoln Trail Conference coaches in attendance, as this was the only (boy's basketball) game(s) around. Three of the six teams are members of the LTC. Seen in the crowd were; Jeff Parsons (Wethersfield), Jeff Hannam (Ridgewood), Jason Lydic (ROWVA), Jeff Kratzer (Princeville), and Brian Hutton (Mercer County). Ryan Hart, a former Williamsfield standout, and the Galesburg sophomore coach was also in attendance.

West Central jumped out to a 10-2 lead after the first quarter, but rallied back and went on a 12-0 run in the second quarter. The Heat scored four points in the second quarter, and both baskets came in the final 0:40. Blake Durflinger hit an off-balanced baseline jumper at the buzzer to tie the game at 14-14 at halftime.

United jumped out to a 30-22 lead after three quarters, and held on for the 51-44 win. Alex Gavin scored 15 points, and Josh Winston added 13 points. Durflinger scored 14 points for West Central.

After the game, we wrapped up the postgame show, and transitioned into the Monmouth-Roseville pregame.

Game 29 Miles: 76

No comments:

Post a Comment