Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Game 19: Galesburg @ Quincy (Girl's)

Game 19
Galesburg @ Quincy (Girl's)
(11/23/10)


Turkey day at the office. The radio station had a potluck Thanksgiving Dinner. During the holidays, I am probably the most hated man in the office, because the potluck and the Christmas party are all scheduled around basketball, and my schedule. Today, I said don't worry when you plan the date for the Christmas party, I will make it no matter what my schedule is. We drew names for a gift exchange for our Christmas party. Our limit is set at a max. of $5. Last year, I drew Amye Bean, one of our sales representatives. In being lazily creative, Amye received a framed five-dollar bill.



The dinner was delicious, complete with turkey, stuffing, cheesy potatoes, "green stuff," cherry and pumpkin pie. With some of the garbage disposals (Greg Ford) at the office, I doubt any leftovers will be had by the time I get back to the office. Last year, I "made" stuffing, out of a $1 box. I poured it in a bowl, threw some water in, microwaved and mixed. It was the least popular item on the menu. I was asked to get a bucket of ice cream this year. Still honing my craft in the kitchen, and it's not coming along so well.

With a belly full of turkey, I had just a couple hours before heading south to Quincy for the Western Big 6 opener between the Silver Streaks and Blue Devils. I adjusted my schedule and went to the office early to get work done in the morning before the dinner.

Jimmie Carr and I met at my house in Macomb, that way I didn't have to drive all the way back to Galesburg or Monmouth after the game. We met at 3:45, and headed down Route 336 to Quincy. Jimmie played basketball in college at Minnesota State, and later went to Hannibal-LaGrange. He talked about hitchhiking from Hannibal in the 1960's back to Galesburg. He had a friend that lived in Ursa (small town north of Quincy), that would drive him that far. He would then choose a direction, Burlington or Macomb and finish the trip. He mentioned several different types would pick him up, but he would stay away from the "flower power vans." I found this a fascinating story, because in this day, nobody hitchhikes anymore. I think it would be adventurous and fun, but I've seen the movie, The Hitcher, too many times.

We arrived in Quincy around 5:00, and sure enough I missed the 36th street turn, so I drove down a couple blocks and came out at Baldwin School. My repetition isn't quite down for Quincy High School just yet!

There were no tables set up for radio, so I asked a custodian and he was quick to get one for us. I mentioned another radio station would be coming and asked if they could set their table on the other end of the gym. I chose the side at the baseline nearest the doors, and didn't realize until just before the game started, that I didn't have the greatest view of the main scoreboard, I was underneath it. Still, it was a better view than our home floor at Thiel Gymnasium.

One of the GHS managers talked to me about getting our radio feed for the varsity game, and I didn't have the necessary cord in the bag I brought in, but had one in the car. After retrieving the cord, I talked with Coach Massey about it, and figured the cord was not long enough for the camera from the vantage point we had.

Galesburg jumped out to a 22-6 after the first quarter, and cruised to a 81-36 win. Jessica Lieber scored 15 points, all on three-pointers. She had struggled with her shot in the first three games of the season (making just 3), but seemed much more comfortable on the floor tonight, and took better shots. If Jessica wasn't such a great golfer, she showed some Outside Hitter-like spiking abilities, as she sent a basketball flying five rows into the bleachers, and nearly taking her own father's head off, just a few feet away from her dad, Eric.

In all, 14 of the 15 players that saw the floor scored for the Silver Streaks, and the team finished (13-46) from outside the three-point line. That's a triple cheeseburger for fans if it would have been at home. The Streaks also shot (20-29) at the free throw line, and forced 37 turnovers. Quincy was led by (6'2" So.) Jordan Fletcher, with 12 points, 9 rebounds.

I was impressed by the play of every girl on the floor, not one had an "off night," like we have seen at times during the first few games. Sophomore spark plug, Rainee Sibley, all 5'1" of her, continues to impress. She was able to force a couple turnovers on one exchange, and in what appeared to be her grimacing in pain...she was actually laughing and having a good time! Three of her classmates on the varsity for the first time saw some action, Chloe Anderson, Sharron Diggins, and Allison Mangieri. Mangieri knocked down a three-pointer, her first varsity points, and Anderson made a free throw for her first varsity point.

Jessica Howard scored 8 points, and climbed a few spots in the All-Time scoring list at Galesburg High School. After tonight's game, she is at 1,014 career points, tying her at 10th all-time with Taylor Young (2008).

After the game, WGIL broadcaster Jim Wyman asked us to meet up at Ruby Tuesday's with his broadcast partner, Eric Gibson. With four broadcasters sitting around a table, you can bet there were no dull moments. One of the first topics of discussion was our choice of broadcast tables, and I admitted I made the mistake once the game got started.

One of the funnier moments in the night was with Jimmie calling our waitress, Kristin, by a different name, Crystal. We mentioned to him that her name was Kristin, and he laughed at his own mistake. However, he called her Crystal two more times! I had the Asian Dumplings, and they were fantastic!

Game 19 Miles: 172

No comments:

Post a Comment