Sunday, November 21, 2010

Game 17: Dunlap vs. United Township (Girl's)

Game 17
Dunlap vs. United Township (Girl's)
Galesburg Thanksgiving Tournament
(11/20/10)


In the break in sessions, I drove back to the radio station in Monmouth and uploaded some video, which can be seen at http://www.ihssn.net/girl-s-basketball/galesburg-thanksgiving-tournament-videos. In addition, I caught up on the blog entries and tried to keep up on the football semifinal playoffs.



I took the station vehicle back to Galesburg, and the dash read just 36 miles to empty. Doing the math....this is cutting it close. Hopefully, company gas goes further than personal gas. Still talking about fuel!

Driving back to Galesburg, I flipped on 102.3 WRMJ-Aledo and listened in to Jim Taylor and Bill Horrell call the Alleman/Sandwich game, with my former boss John Hoscheidt on the sidelines. The Pioneers won the game, 19-0 to advance to the Class 4A state championship game.

Around 3:45, I pulled back into the parking lot at GHS. The United Township girl's team was in the breezeway between the lobby and front doors. They were all singing and seemed very relaxed. The Dunlap team had just taken the floor and were loosening up after the recess in action.

All of my equipment was hooked up, so I just had to fill out the scorebook. Just before the game, the Springfield Senators arrived back to the gym. The girls took the upper bleachers near my broadcast booth. As the warmup music blared Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice Baby," a few of the Senators stood up and danced. In talking with coach Brad Scheffler, I mentioned it seemed his girls seemed to have a lot of team chemistry, to which he replied..."sometimes they have a little too much team chemistry." I also found Scheffler to be a little humble about his team, mentioning that they need to improve on defense. Springfield has allowed 21 points/game in their first two games.

To be honest, when I saw UTHS laying around near the front doors singing, and Dunlap taking wind sprints before the game, I thought the Eagles may have the advantage. I was wrong! The Panthers jumped out to a 21-3 lead after the first eight minutes, and led 32-13 at halftime.

Dunlap was able to make a nice second half run, outscoring the Panthers 34-23, but still fell a bit short in the 55-47 loss. MiKayla Fallon had a big game for United Township, scoring 25 points. Kiana Brady added 11 points for the victorious Panthers. Dunlap's Lexi Hobbs scored a team-high 14 points.

At halftime, Galesburg freshman football coach Brad Swanson came up to the broadcast booth and asked me what some of the playoff scores were from the day. He also said that he would be shooting three-pointers at halftime of the Galesburg game. The night before, sophomore football coach Jake Miller shot three's, and was cold to say the least. When Swanson took the floor later in the evening, he looked more like Steve Kerr shooting the long ball.

Game 17 Miles: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment