Saturday, November 20, 2010

Game 15: Dunlap vs. LeRoy (Girl's)

Game 15
Dunlap vs. LeRoy (Girl's)
Galesburg Thanksgiving Tournament
(11/20/10)


As I drove up to Galesburg High School, I was listening to a reply or "best of" show of a morning show. One of the males on the show mentioned he cleans out his closet every couple months and sorts out the clothes he doesn't wear anymore. Not this guy! In fact, I think I still have a polo hanging in my closet from when I worked at L&J Hometown Market in high school. How it made the move from my parent's house when I moved out nearly a decade ago is beyond me. But, what is more surprising is that it survived five of my moves when I was renting. When I think about it, that's an impressive streak, so I may as well keep it going. Plus, if I ever want to be a grocery store bag boy for Halloween, I have half the costume. I would just need a smock and bag cutter and I'm set.



Game two of the day features Dunlap and LeRoy. The Panthers are coached by Danielle (Steck) Cooley. She was a standout player just down the road from Galesburg at ROWVA High School. In fact, she was a two-time All-American in Galesburg at Carl Sandburg College. Her coach....a head coach in this tournament, Knoxville's Matt Gibson.

The Eagles have a nice team. I caught them play a few summer shootout games in June at Monmouth College. They were edged out of the title game by Havana. Dunlap was very balanced in their 57-29 win over LeRoy. Alissa Recker paced the team with 11 points, Lexi Hobbs scored 10 points, and Kedryn Orrison finished with 9 points.

I really like the play of Hobbs, a very scrappy defender that flies around the court and creates turnovers, and she's just a junior. They won't make any deep postseason runs, but they will have a solid season.

LeRoy had a running clock put on them for the second straight day. Give the Panthers credit, as the small-school team has faced a pair of Class 3A teams, along with a top-ten caliber Class 2A team (Illini West). Speaking of Illini West, they have averaged 81.3 points in their first three games.

Game 15 Miles: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment