Friday, January 15, 2010

Game 62: Monmouth-Roseville @ Sherrard (Boy's Basketball)

Game 62
(1/15/10)
Monmouth-Roseville @ Sherrard (Boy's Basketball)

Olympic Conference basketball returns to the court tonight. As a broadcaster, Sherrard is one of my least favorite locales. The people are great, hospitality is top notch, great atmosphere, but it is in the middle of nowhere, and the crowd is right on top of you. In every game I have broadcasted, I usually lose my cell signal at least once during the game. Tonight, I also had trouble with my Internet connection (Verizon). I do enjoy being close to the action, as opposed to up in a corner rafter, but it can be a double-edge sword.

It seems that the Casey's in Viola is always a stopping point for me on trips to Sherrard or the Quad Cities. Oh wait, that's because it's the only place to stop between Monmouth and the Quad Cities! Had to fuel up with this trip, and a trip to Bloomington/Normal on Saturday. Gas was $2.79 there, not sure where that rates with other towns right now.

Arrived at Sherrard High School with plenty of time, about a half hour before the sophomore game. Sherrard Athletic Director Brady Stromquist even made mention as I set up that he was surprised how early I was. In years past, the outlet and phone lines have been underneath the bleachers, and we string the extension cord through an opening. I couldn't find that opening, so I plugged into the power strip below the scorer's table. The broadcast table sits directly behind the scorers table.

My friend Jim Taylor from WRMJ-Aledo was there to broadcast the game as well. Both of us were flying solo, so we had plenty of space. When each broadcast team has a color commentator it gets very tricky to find table space.

During the first half of the JV game, I went over and talked with Sherrard head coach Ryan Kelly, in his second season as the Tigers head coach. Last year, at Monmouth, I started our pregame interview and introduced him as Ryan WEBBER (Moline head coach). As soon as I said it, it didn't sound right and he flashed me a funny look. Fortunately it wasn't live and we started over. I had just covered Galesburg/Moline the week prior and got the two Ryan's confused. His response after my gaffe, was "I wish I had his win/loss record".

Before our pregame interview we talked about the Tigers at the holiday tournament in Williamsville. Sherrard went 1-2 there. We also talked about Delavan, a team that was in that tournament, and how well they play.

After our chat, I went over to talk with Chuck Grant. We seemed pretty confident coming into Sherrard, even with his post player Cody Crouse out with an ankle injury. We also talked about the exciting finish at Sherrard a year ago, when Tanner Schreck nailed a three-pointer at the buzzer to give the Titans the win in a back-and-forth game.

Sherrard jumped out to an early 6-0 lead in the first quarter, but a couple baskets by the Titans made it 6-4. Monmouth-Roseville took their first lead at 0:51 to play in the opening quarter, at 17-16. They would hold that lead at the end of the first quarter. It would be the last time the Titans led until midway through the third quarter.

The Tigers jumped out to a 32-23 lead late in the second quarter, but the Titans stormed back, and after a Logan Frye foul in the final seconds, a B.J. Salyers basket put the Titans within two points (32-30) at halftime. Alex Bresnahan led the Titans with 11 points at halftime, while Sherrard's Mitch Heiar also had 11, all of his in the first quarter.

In the third quarter, Sherrard took their biggest lead of the game at 40-32. Andy Anderson had three big baskets for the Tigers. Sherrard didn't turn the ball over in the second half until the 3:55 mark, but in the next 60 seconds, they would cough the ball up four times. That led to a 14-point swing, with the visitors taking their first lead since 17-16, late in the quarter at 41-40. The Titans would add a few more points to lead by six points (46-40).

Sherrard would storm right back, and at the end of three quarters, it was a three-point game again, at 46-43. The Titans and Tigers would trade blows through most of the fourth quarter, before Monmouth-Roseville would extend the game out and led by 11 points in the waning seconds, before a Mitch Heiar three made it an eight-point final, with Monmouth-Roseville knocking off host Sherrard (68-60).

Alex Bresnahan scored a game-high 19 points, while Markus Hunter added 18 points. Mitch Heiar paced the Tigers with 16 points, and Andy Anderson pitched in 15 points. Sherrard committed 16 turnovers, while the Titans turned it over 10 times.

Having not ate since about 1:00, the stomach was growling at me, telling me it couldn't wait the entire hour drive back to Macomb. I caved, a pit stop at McDonalds in Monmouth. I ordered the two cheeseburger meal with a Powerade.

The Quest File Notes
Game 62
Date: 1/15/10
Result: In a back-and-forth game, Monmouth-Roseville beats Sherrard 68-60
Miles: 136

No comments:

Post a Comment