Thursday, January 14, 2010

Game 61: Quincy @ Galesburg (Girl's Basketball)

Game 61
(1/14/10)
Quincy @ Galesburg (Girl's Basketball)

The days are beginning to run together! In preparation for this Western Big 6 matchup, I expected coming in, that the Silver Streaks should win this game by double digits. The first time these two teams met (@ Quincy), it was just an ugly game. Reading the Peoria Journal-Star large school basketball column by Jane Miller, the Streaks were back to the #1 ranking in the PJStar coverage area. The Peoria-area schools have all had their struggles this season.

My head is just a flurry of work, website, and broadcasting, and it gets tough to remember my daily schedule at work with the games. Normally on game day, I go into the office at 11:30, which really throws off my day. On these days, I normally wake up at 8:00 a.m. and have my coffee and breakfast. Sometimes it comes a little later, and getting showered and ready around 10:30 and leaving for work at 11:00, my lunch schedule is thrown out of wack. Today, I had made some grilled chicken (thank you George Foreman for your wonderful grills), and planned on taking a bag of microwave popcorn for a snack to tide me over for the game. Of course, in a hurry, I forgot the lunch.

Always rushed when I get to the office, it seemed like everyone was coming at me from every which way, throwing my day off even further. I realized I forgot my lunch not long after I arrived in my office. Once things slowed down around 1:30, I found some tortilla chips and dip and an apple, deciding I would hit Subway while heading to the game in the early evening.

On my way to Galesburg, I grabbed some early dinner at Subway (6 inch bacon & ranch with Baked Lays & a Coke). I really considered taking in some Taco Bell, but my better judgement prevailed.

Pulled up to the gym at the same time as Galesburg Register-Mail columnist Tom Wilson. Tom writes fantastic historical sports columns weekly in the paper. You can read his stuff each Monday online at www.galesburg.com.

I went up to my broadcast booth at John Thiel gymnasium and set everything up, looking over my notes for the pregame interviews. Coach Evan Massey came up and we talked about the Peoria-area basketball teams and the struggles of Richwoods (lost Katie Murphy for several weeks with injury), and also talked a little bit about the next opponent (Normal West).

My broadcast partner Jimmie Carr arrived shortly afterwards, and one of our listeners, Tom (don't know his last name), stopped by to chat. We talked about the struggles of Galesburg's free throw shooting (56% coming into the game), and what has led really good shooters, to shoot so poorly at the line. Personally, my theory is the constant switching in and out and running up and down effects the slow down of patient free throw shooting. I could be way off on that, but that's my opinion. Here is a crazy stat line. Sophomore Baylie Boyer (coming into this Quincy game), shot 46% from the three-point line, 44% from the field overall, and just 24% from the free throw line.

The Galesburg sophomores fell in their game at Quincy earlier in the season, but dominated the Blue Devils tonight. They would go on to win 58-37. I mentioned before we went on the air to Tom and Jimmie that I hoped it was a sign of things to come (for the varsity).

Galesburg jumped out to an 8-0 lead just two minutes into the game. Quincy failed to get the ball across half court on their first three posessions. The Blue Devils didn't score until 3:16 to play in the first quarter. The Streaks nailed five three-pointers in the opening eight minutes and led 26-11 after one.

Coming in, the Streaks needed 15 three-pointers to break the all-time IHSA record for three's made in a season, and 30 attempts to break the state record.

Through two quarters, that poor free throw shooting we talked about before the game must have been an anti-jinx. Galesburg was (12-17) in the first half, and would finish the game (23-33), a 70% clip. The Streaks led 45-26 at halftime, and were (7-29) from outside the three-point line.

Early in the third quarter, a rarity occurred. Audrey Holtschlag of Quincy took an in-bounds pass, turned and knocked it off the glass for two points....for Galesburg. Wrong basket! Mickey Rodriguez was the closest Silver Streak to the play, so she was awarded the two points. Coach Massey would mention in the postgame show that the Blue Devils scored 14 straight points in this frame (of course, these two were credited to Galesburg).

The Blue Devils outscored the Streaks 16-14 in the third quarter. Galesburg broke the state record for three-pointers attempted, with their 964th three-point attempt on the season. That record breaking shot can be viewed on the IHSSN.net homepage. It was a Kat Mangieri corner three from near the Galesburg bench.

Quincy closed their deficit to nine points near the end of the third quarter, but a pair of late three-pointers by Jessica Howard lifted the Streaks to a 15-point lead (59-44) at the end of the third quarter.

The Streaks made their 13th three-pointer late in the fourth quarter, erupting loud cheers from those in attendance wearing their 3-diculous t-shirts. Those wearing the shirts receive a triple cheeseburger coupon from McDonalds when Galesburg makes 13 three's.

Galesburg would score 80+ points for the 11th time this season. When scoring 80 or more points, Galesburg is 9-2. Quincy freshman Jordan Fletcher scored a game-high 22 points, and could have scored a lot more had she seen more playing time. The Streaks got 16 points and a solid all around game from Sara Baker. Mickey Rodriguez added 13 points, and Jessica Howard scored 12 points.

The Streaks went (13-60) from the three-point line, finishing the night with 994 three-point attempts (the new IHSA single-season record), and 259 three-pointers made, one away from tying the state record. Galesburg forced 35 Blue Devils turnovers, while committing 24 turnovers themselves. The Streaks win their first Western Big 6 game, after going 0-5 against the league during the first half of the conference slate.

The Quest File Notes
Game 61
Date: 1/14/10
Result: Galesburg sets 3-point attempts record in 81-56 win over Quincy
Miles: 105

No comments:

Post a Comment