Friday, March 11, 2011

The Quest: A Backseat Inventory

There used to be a floor
Backseat Inventory
(3/11/11)


It's a good thing that The Quest 2: 150 calls an S.U.V. "home" most of the basketball season.  If this quest were achieved by using a mid-sized car, it may have burst with empty coffee cups, granola bar wrappers, and fast food waste.  On a day off, here's a backseat inventory.

The inventory below is only a partial list.  Back in November and December, I may have kept up on cleaning out my vehicle....but not much since.  In addition, my broadcast partner Jimmie Carr would regularly make the mistake of opening the backseat passenger door to get the equipment.  This would commonly result in a piece or two of trash scattering into the parking lot.  I attempted to pick as much up as I could.  (littering is a big pet peeve of mine).  Without further ado, here's what I found (note, this is just the trash - believe it or not there is room for equipment and other non-trash items).

Granola Bar Wrappers - 73.  This is because my typical breakfast consists of a gas station coffee and one or two of the quarter granola bars.  Many of these were of the chocolate chip and oats variety, however there were a few almond and strawberry flavors. 

Subway - 14.  I am actually surprised there weren't more Subway wrappers than this.  By far, Subway was the most common choice of meals on the road this basketball season.

McDonald's - 13.  Despite trying my best to avoid the golden arches, sometimes I give in.  It's certainly not surprising that these two joints had by far the most "empties" in my backseat.

Gum Packages - 9.  If I counted the singular gum wrappers, I'd be counting into May.  Most of the empty gum packs were Orbit, but a couple Stride and even one of the new Wrigley Doublemint packages.

Ayerco Coffee Cups - 6.  The only saving grace that there wasn't a Mt. Ayerco Coffee in my Ford Explorer is the fact that normally I am not finished with my coffee by the time I get to work. 

Culver's - 5.  This was kind of a surprise, that Culvers ranks 3rd on the most fast food waste in my vehicle.  It didn't seem like I stopped here that often, but I do remember a couple of late season stops (Morton & Peoria).

Steak 'n Shake - 2.  Another fast food joint that I expected more trash out of, as I made a few stops here after Galesburg games.  I don't think I stopped at any Steak 'n Shakes outside of town, though.

Taco Bell - 2.  After my stop at the Moline Taco Bell, I decided on a slight Taco Bell boycott because I absolutely despise many of their locations drive-thru speak.  "Hey, how's it goin?" is a common greeting in the drive-thru.  When time allows, I like to be a jerk and answer their question and nothing more until they ask for my order.  I just find this practice to be very unprofessional.

Kitchen Cooked Potato Chips - 2.  These must have been from my gas station "dinners."  I don't eat potato chips....but I eat Kitchen Cooked.

Beef Jerkey - 2.  Again, this may have accompanied the Kitchen Cooked to make my postgame "meal."

T-shirts - 2.  Two undershirts, I have no idea why I had two t-shirts on the floor (yup..I found the floor) of my backseat.

Water Bottles - 2.  There should have been more than 2, not sure where the ghost bottles went.  Many times I recycle the water bottles and use them at work with our Culligan water.

Chinese Carry-out - 2.  Just the menus, not the actual wrappers.  One of these was from the great blizzard when I stayed in the Monmouth Super 8.  Not sure where the second one was from.  Chen's Garden was the blizzard night, the other menu was from New China.  This may have just been placed in my windshield, because I don't recall eating at New China during the season.

5-Hour Energy - 2.  A pomegranate and orange flavor.  One of these was used on the trip back from Benton.  The overnight 5-hour drive in a blizzard.  Certainly the most memorable road trip of the journey!

Media Passes - 2.  A 2009-10 IHSA general media pass and a 2010 IHSA Official pass when I broadcasted the state finals for the IHSA Network last June.

Popeye's - 1.  This was from last weekend, on Friday after the Class 3A girl's basketball semifinals.  I found it difficult to eat mashed potatos while driving in rush hour traffic.

Arby's - 1.  Not sure where I had Arby's this season, must have been early on in the year.

Trail Mix - 1.  Thought there might have been a few of these, this was a common gas station snack before a game.

Hostess Lemon Pie - 1.  This was pretty darn good, it was my pregame snack for one of the girl's basketball sectional games in Metamora, picked up at the Redbird Mini Mart.

Little Debbie Apple Cinnamon Danish - 1.  Sometimes I would mix up the breakfast and go with something other than granola bars, but as you saw with the amount of granola bar wrappers, that didn't happen often.

Powedered Donettes - 1.  Again, like the danish from above.

Classic Italian Sub - 1.  This was picked up at the Galesburg Mobil after the Blue Island Eisenhower/Galesburg boy's basketball game, as I drove home for a family reunion.  As Macomb football coach Kelly Sears would say, "a gas station sandwich."

Chex Mix - 1.  Another snack I would opt for, though I'm not as much of a Chex Mix fan as I am of the Gardetto's...which oddly enough, there were no wrappers for in my car.

Pepsi - 1.  One can of Pepsi.  I don't drink pop that often, occasionally a bottle from our Coke machine at the office, so I'm not sure where a can came from.

Powerade - 1.  Tropical punch flavored.  The Save-A-Lot has bottles of Powerade on sale for $0.88 a lot.

Sports Page - 1.  The Peoria Journal-Star sports page from Saturday January 29th.  2011 for any smart ***es out there, LOL!

Carlos Zambrano cookie wrapper - 1.  B-PC/A baseball coach Dave Arnold picked up some Carlos Zambrano cookies when he was at the Cubs Convention in January.  The cookie came in handy during a long Saturday of basketball in Galesburg.  This was "lunch" following the Galesburg/Morton girl's basketball game played at Knox College.

***Who knew cleaning could bring back so many memories of a great season!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment