Sunday, March 6, 2011

Game 149: (Chicago) Marshall vs. Springfield (Girl's Basketball)

Marshall Warmups (IHSA Network filming)
Game 149
(Chicago) Marshall vs. Springfield (Girl's Basketball)
IHSA Class 3A Third Place
(3/5/11)


It certainly wasn't the start to the day that I was looking for.  Apparently, I didn't set my alarm clock at the hotel correctly.  Fortunately, I woke up around the same time (actually about 20 minutes earlier) that I had "set" the clock.  Then, I went 0-3 in my quest to find breakfast....



On the plus side, the Baymont Inn & Suites gets my vote for the "BBB" Award, Best Bang for your Buck.  I stay in cheap hotels.  The only thing I look for is a bed (without bed bugs) and a shower (clean).  Most hotels in the price range I stay ($50-$60) are your run of the mill Super 8, Red Roof Inn, etc.  Some are clean and have everything I'm needing, some are not so clean and just not the greatest stays.  I will point out that this season the Worst Hotel of the Year goes to the Benton Super 8.  It was not very clean, and the clerk at the desk when I checked out was rude (not friendly and talking on her cell phone the entire time she checked me out). 

Baymont Inn & Suites in Bloomington is certainly the best of the year.  It was extremely clean, the cleanest hotel I stayed at all year.  When I walked in, there was the breakfast bar next to the lobby, with a very nice sit-down area to eat breakfast in the morning, or hang out any other time.  The room was furnished with a TV (with cable box, which is rare at the cheap hotels) inside an oak case, there was a large oak case that had an ironing board (apparently that's what you use to get the wrinkles out of shirts....who knew???), and it also had a microwave and fridge.  The fridge came in handy to keep a couple post-broadcast beverages cold.  On top of that, the comforter on the bed was as comfortable as they come, and the bathroom had a tri-mirror.  Not that I use the mirror, outside of making funny faces when I brush my teeth (is that normal, or just weird?). 
Comfortable bed...with TV pillow

For every positive, there is a negative....and that came after I checked out and went on my search for a quick drive-thru breakfast.  McDonald's is the old stand-by, but I had some extra time to find something different.  I haven't eaten at a Denny's since I was a kid, so I headed down Veteran's Parkway to Denny's.  I thought they had a drive-thru....I was wrong.  0-1.  Hardee's was across the street.  I hate Hardees, but give them credit for having a dynamite breakfast.  There was no breakfast on the menu.  I asked the voice on the other side of the drive-thru speaker if they had breakfast.  Unsure if she understood my question, she responded, "we don't have anymore biscuits."  Okay, 0-2 apparently.  Little did I know, there was probably no breakfast menu at Hardee's, because it was at that crucial time....10:30.  Ahhhh!!!!  I feel like Adam Sandler in Big Daddy all over again.  This thought didn't come to mind until I pulled into the McDonald's on College Avenue.  I looked at my clock, pulling up to the drive-thru.  It was 10:40.  Nothing like a double cheeseburger for breakfast!  0-3.  Here's a note to McDonald's.....SERVE BREAKFAST UNTIL 11!!!!  Who wants to eat a Big Mac at 10:30 in the morning?  That morning double cheeseburger will be my last fast food item I order for a long period of time.  The shirts are getting smaller, the pants are fitting tighter....it's time to cut the glut!

The first game of the day was the Class 3A third place game between the Marshall Commandos and the Springfield Senators.  It was a closer game than I had anticipated, and the crowd was absolutely atrocious!  Springfield jumped out to a 14-11 lead after the 1st quarter, behind three three-pointers by Zahna Medley.  She finished the game with 24 points, a game-high. 

The Senators posted a shutout in the 2nd quarter, outscoring Marshall 12-0, and took a 26-11 lead into halftime.  Galesburg head coach Evan Massey came down during halftime.  One of his seniors, Jessica Howard was being honored during halftime as an IBCA First Team All-Stater.  Evan snapped a few pictures, and said a few Galesburg fans and coaches had made the trip down to see Jessica get honored.  Only three girls were on the floor from the IBCA First Team, and one of those girls was Zahna Medley, her team playing in this game.  Her team stayed on the floor to give her a loud ovation.  It was pretty disappointing that Bolingbrook or Whitney Young did not bring their team, and have their players come out...since they were both in town and playing later in the day. 

Springfield put up 20 more points in the 3rd quarter, and had a 46-27 lead heading into the 4th quarter.  Marshall made a nice run in the final eight minutes, but fell short 53-43.  Keshawnee Alley scored 18 points to lead Marshall. 
Springfield medal ceremony

The Senators should be a top ten preseason team in Class 3A again, graduating only two starters (Kasi Korza and Amber Cason).  Zahna Medley is an amazing guard, and has been receiving Division-one interest since she was a freshman.  I really like Ashton Williams, and she could develop into a really fine player, she's a sophomore.  Sophomore Meghan Fetter (6'0") played really well down low, and Kelsey Hulcher (Jr.) provides nice guard play.  Sloane Chapman (5'6" So. Guard) knocked down some big shots, and the Senators also had three tall freshman see a little bit of time, Anika Webster (5'10"), Mel Blemhorst (6'0"), and Kateri Stone (5'11"). 

This was Marshall's 25th state finals appearance, and their 19th state trophy. 

Marshall State Final Trophies
1st Place:  9
2nd Place: 3
3rd Place: 5
4th Place: 2

Name(s) of the Game:  Marshall's Apiphany (Uh-piff-uh-nee) Woods and Marshall's Yowana (Yo-Wanna) Posey.

Game 149 Miles:  5

No comments:

Post a Comment