Thursday, February 10, 2011

Game 126: United vs. Abingdon (Girl's Basketball)

Game 126
United vs. Abingdon (Girl's Basketball)
Class 1A Regionals (@ United)
(2/9/11)


The second game of the doubleheader in the regional semifinals pitted the host and #2 seed United Red Storm against the Abingdon Commandos.  The two teams split during the regular season, and both enter with 20 wins on the year.

United is coming off of a big win over Wethersfield on Friday night, handling the Flying Geese.  That victory gave the Red Storm a share of the Lincoln Trail Conference title.  Abingdon is coming off of an impressive win of their own, beating South Fulton on Saturday, 40-38. 

Abingdon plays an extremely slow-tempo game, one of those styles that can really give teams fits, and I felt that United could fall prey to their game tonight.  Jeff "Doodle" Thurman came up before the game and we talked about the matchup.  He is the son of Abingdon head coach Roger Thurman.  He mentioned it would be a tough one for the Commandos with the talent that United has.  I said that if Abingdon can control the tempo and keep it slow, they would win. 

The Commandos jumped out to a 14-5 lead in the 1st quarter, and Beep Jones led that charge, scoring 9 points in the opening frame.  United was able to slow down the Abingdon scoring in the 2nd quarter, but trailed 20-12 at halftime.

"Sharp" Shoes.  Abingdon guard Kelsey Sharp sports a pair of bright green shoes.

United outscored Abingdon 9-8 in the 3rd quarter.  Ashlynn Winkler lost a contact during the 4th quarter, and there was a brief search on the floor.  It wasn't found.  Jones continued her scoring barrage in the final frame, and went perfect from the free throw line in the 4th quarter, 10-10.  She finished with a game-high 27 points and went 12-12 at the line in Abingdon's 44-33 win. 

The Commandos went 14-17 from the free throw line, while the Red Storm went 1-5 at the line.

Suh...what?  There have been a few Sahyouni's go through Abingdon in recent years, including junior Jamelia Sahyouni.  Pronunciation = JUH-meel-ee-uh SUH-yoo-nee. 

After the game, I headed home and went to the grocery store to pick up a few items.  The typical "meals" that I can handle are anything frozen, peanut butter & jelly, eggs, and anything grilled.  Tonight, I decided on PB&J.  I needed some jelly, which is always something I struggle with.

Jelly, preserves, or jam, whatever your flavor of choice is difficult.  It's so easy to pick out one that is just not good.  I made the mistake of buying Cherry Preserves recently, never again!  However, I followed that poor purchase with some apple jelly.  Delicious!  My pick was blueberry jelly, and it didn't disappoint.  Jelly is one item that takes me forever to decide.  In all honesty, I probably have a tougher time picking out jelly, than my last vehicle. 

Here are three items I have the most difficulty in choosing.

1)  Jelly - as stated above.

2)  Toothpaste - It never fails, I spend 20 minutes looking at the wall of different toothpaste with a glazed over look in my eyes.  Then...without fail, I pick out the same toothpaste that I've been buying for the last 10 years.

3)  Dryer Sheets - I have a thing with smelly stuff, especially potpourri, detergents, etc.  Again, after several minutes pondering, I typically grab the old stand-by.

Game 126 Miles:  40

No comments:

Post a Comment