Sunday, February 6, 2011

Game 122: Blue Island Eisenhower @ Galesburg (Boy's Basketball)

Blue Island Eisenhower Warming Up
Game 122
Blue Island Eisenhower @ Galesburg (Boy's Basketball)
(2/5/11)

After broadcasting the reigning IHSA Girl's Basketball 3-point record holders (Galesburg single-season in 2009-10), it was time to broadcast the IHSA Boy's Basketball single season 3-point record holders.  The Blue Island Eisenhower Cardinals just broke the record the night before, set by Lincoln in 2004-05.  Coming in, the Cardinals have knocked down 292 three-pointers.

I was able to make it to John Thiel Gymnasium from Dunlap with about 20 minutes on the pregame clock of the sophomore game.  Jimmie and I had arranged for him to record Eisenhower coach Mike Curta for the pregame show while I unpacked and set up the equipment, along with filling out the score book. 

Mike Reynolds: Captain of the Fashion Police
Register-Mail Photo
During the sophomore game, P.A. Announcer Gary Mitchell announced that Ryan McElmurry was going to the free throw line.  I was filling out my score book at the time, and it caught me by surprise!  When I looked up, Gary corrected himself and announced Drew Nall would be shooting the free throws, with a chuckle.  Nall is #4 on the sophomore team, while McElmurry wears #4 on varsity.

When I went to do my pregame interview with Galesburg coach Mike Reynolds, he commented about my wardrobe saying, "Geez, you dressed up for tonight's game."  I was wearing a pair of black Nike Shox with cargo pants and an IHSSN polo with a white long sleeve shirt underneath.  I'm a little less formal on Saturday game days.

Galesburg softball coach and basketball game day security extraordinaire Brad Swanson told me he had been to God's Country earlier in the day, referencing his trip to my hometown, Annawan, to watch his alma mater, Stark County play in the Lincoln Trail Conference Tournament.  I would later listen to the end of Stark County's LTC title game win over United on WRMJ with Jim Taylor on the call.

Assistant coach Troy Noble explained to me what had happened the night before at Rock Island, when the P.A. Announcer asked fans to not walk in front of the Galesburg bench.  He followed that comment with, "It's bothering them."  Noble said that it happened on a few occasions before he walked to the scorer's table and asked for the announcement. 

Register-Mail columnist Tom Wilson hand delivered a couple books for me.  We did a talk on Sportsline earlier this week about a snow storm in 1960 that forced some Galesburg basketball players and many fans to stay at various points on a trip back from Rock Island.  He mentioned a story about the paper's sports editor at the time, Joe Morrissey, and also made mention of a book Morrissey wrote, "Thiel: The Silver Streaks Years."  Tom brought me that book, along with a copy of his own book, "Remembering Galesburg."  Another visitor to the broadcast booth was Dennis Jacobs.

Jimmie Carr talks with Jessica Howard
WAIK Halftime Show
Eisenhower jumped out running and gunning, but the shots weren't falling.  The Silver Streaks jumped out to lead, 20-16 at the end of the 1st quarter.  By halftime, Galesburg led 48-41.  The Cardinals were 7-27 from the three-point line.

There were 29 total fouls called against the two teams in the first half, 19 by Eisenhower.  Jessica Howard was our special halftime guest on 1590 WAIK.  Evan Massey recently interviewed Jessica for his BLOG, which was a very entertaining read.

Galesburg outscored Eisenhower 23-22 in the 3rd quarter to take a 71-63 lead heading into the 4th quarter.  It looked like scoring 100 points would be out of the picture, needing 29 points to reach the century mark.  The Silver Streaks had scored 20-28-23 in the first three quarters.

Jimmie Carr & Chad Thompson
WAIK Postgame
Down the stretch, the 100th point when Dalton Davis was fouled after his shot went down.  With 99 points, Davis made the free throw.  The Streaks would win the game 104-83.  Chad Thompson became the first Silver Streak this season to eclipse the 40-point mark.  Normally, an outside shooter, his points tonight came in the paint.  He scored 6 points in the 1st quarter, 11 points in the 2nd quarter, 10 points in the 3rd quarter, and 13 points in the 4th quarter.

Brandon Thompson scored 21 points for Galesburg, while Ryan McElmurry added 18 points and Aslan Butler scored 12 points, in just his 2nd game back after a foot injury suffered just before Christmas. 

Sophomore Tyrone Terrell scored a team-high 29 points for Eisenhower.  He knocked down seven three-pointers.  Davalle Ward scored 12 points, and Dustan Lewis added 10 points for the Cardinals.  Eisenhower went 15-51 from the three-point line.  Both teams committed 19 turnovers.

This was the final game for referee Larry Sholl, who was presented the game ball that he threw in the air for the opening tip.  He was also recognized before the tip and given a standing ovation. 

Three technical fouls were whistled on the night, two of them in the sophomore game.  The only varsity technical assessed was against Eisenhower head coach Mike Curta.

My favorite name of the weekend goes to Eisenhower's Olajuwon Prude (5'11" Jr.).  Prude was averaging 11.6 points/game and 3.2 rebounds/game, but did not play. 

Following the game, I had to make a decision on my postgame dinner.  Friday's dinner was McDonald's in Rock Island, breakfast Saturday morning was McDonald's in Monmouth.  The thought of the golden arches was unsettling, as this trip is becoming all too familiar. 

Working on just 3.5 hours of sleep, I was extremely exhausted, and still had an hour drive to Atkinson to catch the end of a family reunion.  Five-Hour Energy was a must!  Instead of fast food, I headed to the Galesburg Mobil on Henderson and grabbed a gas station dinner.

Fuel for the road
I'll have to write another royalty check to Macomb football coach Kelly Sears for making a mention in this blog.  I broadcasted Macomb Bombers games for three or four seasons on K100 in Macomb, and Sears was my color commentator.   During one trip he uttered the words, "gas station sandwich," which made me erupt into laughter.  It's one of those you had to be there moments.  At any rate, I took the Sears road warrior meal advice, and picked up an Italian sub and a small bag of Kitchen Cooked potato chips, a large bottle of water and an Orange flavored 5-Hour Energy.

On my drive home Sunday, I was flipping through radio stations when I came across an interesting song on 93.9 WYEC.  It was "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris.  I laughed out loud to the lyrics, "Someone left the cake out in the rain, I don't think that I can take it, because it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have the reciple again...oh noooo."  Here's video, I've listened to it a half dozen times, and I can't believe I've never heard this song before!



Speaking of music, our family reunions have really become much more entertaining in recent years with the advent of karaoke.  When I walked into Gordo's Barn in Atkinson shortly after 10:00 to the large contingent of family, I was immediately summoned to the microphone, however I need a little time to loosen up the vocal cords.  I "performed" with cousins Noreen, Chris, and Tammy to The B-52's "Love Shack."  My stylings are limited, but here are three songs that I feel comfortable doing karaoke (for entertaining purposes only - not a good singer).

1)  The B-52's "Love Shack" -- I don't really know when I started doing this song, quite possibly at the former Parkside Sports Bar in Macomb.

2)  Nikki French "Total Eclipse of the Heart"  -- You're wondering, What the ????  I do this duet-style with a female.  My version is a take from the movie Old School, and I perform it Metallica-style.  It really catches people off-guard, and half of the audience loves it and finds it hilarious, while the rest think it's awful. 

3)  Crash Test Dummies "Mmm Mmm Mmm"  -- I don't have a very low voice, but for some reason I can drop it down a few notches and hit this song.  Most comments after I do this song are, "I've never heard that song before."  A shame, it's a mid-90's classic!

Another amusing moment on the road was a license plate spotted on Route 67, "KTY WTY."  Maybe it was a couple that had a last name that started with the letter "Y."  The only thing that I could picture, though, was a lonely cat woman that loves her kitty witty. 

Game 122 Miles:  100

No comments:

Post a Comment