Monday, January 10, 2011

Game 84: Delavan vs. Illini Bluffs (Boy's Basketball)

Game 84
Delavan vs. Illini Bluffs (Boy's Basketball)
ICAC Tournament (@ Williamsfield)
(1/10/11)

Before I drove over to Williamsfield, I stopped at Subway for a late lunch/early dinner.  Today, I ordered a foot long Oven Roasted Chicken on monterrey cheddar with tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, and black olives.  It was good, however, Subway sandwiches seem to tear up my tongue.  Strange, I know. 

Three Foods That Tear up my Mouth1)  Subway sandwiches
2)  Sour Patch Kids
3)  Cap 'n Crunch cereal

Flipping through radio stations on my drive, I caught a promo running for a station's morning show, and it mentioned something about penpals.  We had penpals in 3rd grade.  I was the only boy who got matched up with a girl.  If I remember correctly, it was because there was an odd number of boys and girls with the school we shared with, and apparently my name got drawn.  This would have been great a few years later, but in 3rd grade, I still thought my female penpal had cooties.  I don't even remember her name, but she was from Wichita Falls, Texas....I think.  How come I could remember the city of my grade school penpal 20 years later, but I can't remember what I did yesterday?

When I arrived at Williamsfield High School, the lights in the gym weren't even on yet.  Perfect timing!  The only soul in the gym was Williamsfield assistant coach Sam Secrist.  We talked a little about Galesburg Silver Streaks basketball.  He was at the Galesburg/Macomb game on Saturday night.  He even mentioned that his sophomore team may be playing Galesburg next week.  His sophomores have only played 7 games so far.

Bob Anderson came up and asked if I needed anything.  We talked Billtown Bombers basketball for a bit.  Williamsfield is one of my favorite stops during basketball season, because it is one of the most hospitable places I broadcast throughout the year, plus I really like the gym.  It's a huge gym for such a small school.

Upon getting all of the equipment set up, I began filling out my scorebook, then talked with head coaches Tyler Hesh (Illini Bluffs) and Ryon Kramer (Delavan).  One of Delavan's starters, a freshman had the toughest spelling/pronunciation I've seen in a while, Ethan Leskovisek (6'3" Fr.).  Reading the last name, I would have taken an educated guess that it's pronounced, Less-koh-vuh-sek.  Boy, was I off!!!  It's actually pronounced, Lesk-uh-shay.  Whoah!

It was a back and forth game in the first quarter, and was tied 16-16 after 8 minutes.  Delavan took a 29-26 halftime lead, but Illini Bluffs rallied to outscore the Panthers 15-5 in the 3rd quarter and led 41-34.  Delavan made it a game in the 4th quarter, and pulled to within one point down the stretch.  Trailing by three points, Delavan had the final posession, but missed a three-point attempt in the final seconds.

Reid David scored 15 points for Illini Bluffs, and Nolan Rynearson added 14 points.  Wes Springer scored 14 points for Delavan.  The Tigers improve to 12-5 on the season, while Delavan drops to 7-9.

Game 84 Miles:  78

No comments:

Post a Comment