Saturday, January 29, 2011

Game 116: Quincy @ Galesburg (Boy's Basketball)

Pink Out Night at Galesburg High School
Game 116
Quincy @ Galesburg (Boy's Basketball)
Pink Out Night
(1/28/11)

Pink Out Night at John Thiel Gymnasium, an amazing 2nd half comeback, Galesburg coach Mike Reynolds' at lunch, and another lunch/dinner combo.



Today was another one of those day's where I had to run from studio to the printer and back to save time. In the end, I was able to get everything done with a few minutes to spare, but of course there was no lunch break all day. To curb the hunger, I snacked on two bananas, two fresh guavas, and a breakfast bar throughout the day.

When these times occur, which is frequently during the basketball season, I make the late afternoon run for a lunch/dinner. It only works if I can snack throughout the day, if not I can sometimes slip into junk fast food. Today, I made that typical trip to Subway.

I would never make it as a Food Photographer
Normally, I spend a little bit of time mulling over my decision for which Subway sandwich I am going to order. By the way, I had an interesting conversation with a former co-worker last year about ordering Subway in the drive-thru, which is what I always do. He thought it was so odd that people use the drive-thru at Subway. I found it odd that someone would think that. To each their own!

It was a foot-long cold cut combo that I ordered on wheat with tomatoes, pickles, black olives, and lettuce. I also ordered a large Coca-Cola, and I really need to cut pop out of my daily routine.  I am slipping again, and really need to cut out the junk food and start getting to the gym.  Basketball season = unhealthy habits.

I arrived at the gym at 4:30, because I had an interview scheduled with Galesburg freshman girl's basketball coach Jay Barshinger for my show, Sportsline.  Jay grew up in DeKalb, went to Illinois State University, then took a job at Galesburg, and has been here every since.  He played football, and was a member of the gymnastics team at DeKalb.  My interview with Jay, as we talk about his background, the city of Galesburg, and coaching at GHS under several different head coaches, and his thoughts on new Silver Streaks football coach Tim Doughtery.

When I walked into the gym, the only other people besides Jay, were new GHS Softball coach Brad Swanson, and a couple of sophomore basketball players shooting around, Travon Diggins and Eric Stevenson.  I wanted to interview Swanson as well, since he was recently hired as the new softball coach.  He has been the sophomore coach the past few seasons.

After my chat with Barshinger, we talked for a few minutes.  Mike, the tireless custodian was setting up the benches and scorer's table.  I asked him how many hours he works in a day, and he shot out some numbers that made my jaw drop.  During tournaments, I get to the gym around an hour before the first game, and usually take off 15-20 minutes after the horn sounds on  the final game.  Mike is there long before that first game, and long after that last game.  Shawn Hickey, the defensive coordinator on the football team walked into the gym, and had found a cell phone in the hallway.  It was obviously a girl's cell phone with a pink or purple studded cover. 

Just a tick before 5:00, the Quincy Blue Devils walked into the gym.  I spoke with coach Sean Taylor for a moment, and he was looking for a dryer, he was holding a T-shirt. 

All of my equipment was already set up, because of the girl's basketball game the night before.  I just had to boot up my computer, and rearrange the broadcast booth because of the Quincy radio stations that are coming.  WQCY shares the broadcast booth with us (WAIK), while WGEM shares the booth with WGIL.  I made sure there were enough chairs/stools in the booth, moved our equipment down, and cleaned up the booth for the night. 

After getting things organized, I went down and talked with coach Taylor.  I got his starters and made sure the roster was correct.  He has brought up two underclassmen to the varsity, sophomore Joey Laws and freshman Luka Radovic.  He gave me his starters and we talked about how the Blue Devils season has been going.  I wanted to confirm his record (8-10), and he responded, "Thanks for reminding me!"

Brad Swanson had returned to the gym, and we stepped out into the hallway to talk softball.  He's a Stark County graduate, so we talked a little bit about the Rebels basketball teams, both have very good seasons.  The boy's team just earned the top seed in the Lincoln Trail Conference Tournament, and the girl's have been state-ranked much of the season, however they lost twice this week.

At the start of the sophomore game, Jimmie Carr headed down to interview Quincy coach Sean Taylor.  Afterwards, I headed down to talk with Galesburg head coach Mike Reynolds.  Galesburg Register-Mail assistant sports editor Aaron Frey walked in, and made a comment about Reynolds' pink button-down shirt, asking why he didn't wear it at lunch today.  Reynolds was a guest with the Lunch Gang, one of my regular blog reads, check it out The Lunch Gang blog.

The Silver Streaks and Blue Devils battled in the 1st quarter, and it was tied 15-15 after one quarter.  Quincy couldn't miss in the first half, knocking down six three-pointers before halftime and outscored Galesburg 19-6 in the 2nd quarter, taking a 13-point lead at the break (34-21).

WAIK's Jimmie Carr with Jamie Johnson
Joey Laws (6'4" So.) who looks more like a football player, but has the softest touch from the three-point line knocked down two of those three's, and finished with five three-pointers on the night and 15 points.  The unbelievable thing is, Laws doesn't play football.  I would imagine Rick Little has been in his ear to try the Blue Devils football program out.

Our WAIK halftime guest was girl's basketball player Jamie Johnson.  The night prior, Johnson scored 19 points and went 8-8 from the free throw line in a win over United Township.  She was our First Glass Breakout Player of the Game.  She spoke with Jimmie Carr.

Starting the 2nd half, Chad Thompson sported a new pair of shoes.  They stuck out, bright yellow basketball shoes.  These are his practice shoes, after his game shoes broke down during the first half.

Galesburg came fired up and ready to go in the 2nd half, outscoring the visitors 23-12 in the 3rd quarter.  Garrett Williams was clutch knocking down a pair of three-pointers, Dalton Davis hit one, and Brandon Thompson came uncorked.

Thompson, averaging almost 20 points/game, was held to just 2 points in the 1st half.  That scoring drought didn't last long.  He tossed in 12 points in the 3rd quarter, and finished the game with 23 points.

The Silver Streaks kept their rally going, down by 2 points to start the 4th quarter.  Quincy's Tomas Dean and Joey Laws each hit 3-pointers in the final frame, and took a 7-point lead early in the quarter.  Galesburg kept fighting, and were able to take a 62-60 lead with just over 2:00 to play on a Garrett Williams three-pointer.  He as Mr. Clutch on the night, finishing with four three-pointers and 15 points.  He was named our First Glass Breakout Player of the Game.

With Galesburg holding that lead the rest of the game, there were some tense moments in the final 0:12.  Tomas Dean was called on a double-dribble, and some words were exchanged between Quincy and Galesburg players.  This resulted in a Blue Devil shoving one of the Silver Streaks players, garnering a technical foul.  Brandon Thompson sank both free throws, and the Streaks prevailed 69-64.  Below is video of the final posession.


Pink Out Night

There was pink everywhere, in honor of the late Jason Gray, who was a Silver Streaks assistant during the 2008-09 season before passing away.  Funds generated from Pink Out Night were donated to his son Zeke's education fund, Coaches vs. Cancer, and Luke's League, a foundation started by Quincy coach Sean Taylor in honor of a nephew that passed away from leukemia.

Game 116 Miles:  100


3 comments:

  1. Another great blog. And thanks for The Lunch Gang mention! You'll have to join us sometime.
    By the way, I don't go to Subway anymore, opting for either Hungry Hobo or Jimmy John's. But I would NEVER use the drive-through at Subway, because I would never trust them to make my sandwich right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get to Hungry Hobo nearly enough as I should! I am probably the most laid-back eater on Earth. If I order a Big Mac and get Chicken Nuggets, I just shrug it off and play the hand I'm dealt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then we are complete opposites on food service.
    As you have read, I go nuts when my food doesn't arrive like I order it. :)

    ReplyDelete