Sunday, January 23, 2011

Game 108: Galesburg @ Rock Island (Girl's Basketball)

Hoover's House: Home of the Lady Rocks
Game 108
Galesburg @ Rock Island (Girl's Basketball)
(1/20/11)

Western Big 6 girl's basketball matchup at Rock Island's "Hoover House," Pete Thierry's candy store, talking real estate with coach Thad Hoover, and a return trip to Dr. Gyro's.

Talk about a quick turn around.  At 4:00 a.m. I was getting into bed after a 5-hour drive through a snow storm.  Just a couple hours later, the alarm clock rang at 9:00 a.m. and I was headed to the office.  I had a lot to get done before driving up to Rock Island. 

The first thing to do was get Sportsline produced for 1590 WAIK.  Today's show featured interviews with Western Big 6 coaches; Evan Massey (Galesburg), Justin Shiltz (United Township), and Thad Hoover (Rock Island), discussing the league matchups this week. 

I headed north at around 3:30, to arrive at the Rock Island gym early to get settled in.  It never fails when going to broadcast a girl's basketball game at Rocky.  I can never find my way to the gym, and I enter from a different door each time. 

The reason I seem wayward in getting to the court is because I use the main entrance, and walk down the hallways.  Tonight, I felt confident as I walked through the hallway.  Then, as I reached the "T," I forgot which door it was, since they were all closed.

Fortunately, there was a custodian down the hallway to my left.  He was opening one of the doors to the gym, and as I walked through...I started in the wrong way.  He corrected me before I got too far, and said..."upstairs," after beginning my walk downstairs.

The Galesburg teams were already in the gym, as I thought I was early enough at 4:40 to beat the Streaks.  Rock Island Athletic Director Bob Swanson does a great job at hosting the media.  In the girl's gym, there are always plenty of table space along the sideline of the gym, opposite the scorer's table and benches.

Since I was the first member of the media at "Hoover's House," the nickname of the Lady Rocks gym, after head coach Thad Hoover, I plopped down as close to half-court as possible.  I didn't want to sit right in the middle, since the other radio station would be there as well, and need enough space to seperate us. 

Jimmie Carr arrived shortly thereafter, and took his seat.  Pete Thierry, who hardly misses any type of sporting event in Galesburg took a seat next to Jimmie.  He was stocked with all sorts of goodies, as he offered us some.  It was like Pete brings his own candy store.  He told us that he gives Galesburg boy's basketball players Dalton Davis and Brandon Thompson a Mike & Ike before each game.

Coach Massey stopped by media row, and we did our pregame interview, and during halftime of the sophomore game I went over to talk with Rock Island head coach Thad Hoover.  I decided to run our interview that aired during Sportsline, since it was the same line of questioning that I would ask in a pregame interview.

Hoover gave me his starting lineup, which he mulled for a moment.  He has pulled one of his original starters from the starting five recently for team reasons.  She would play, just not start.  We talked about the website, Illinois High School Sports Network, and I told him that I actually lived in Macomb still, but worked in Galesburg.  I am trying to make the move, but my house is still on the market.  He mentioned that he is in the same situation, owning a home in Iowa, where he used to teach and coach, but he found someone to rent it so he could move to the Quad Cities.

The game was tight for the first half, though Rock Island clearly had the edge.  Galesburg came out very flat, and continued to play without much fire throughout the game.  It was 13-12 in favor of the hosts after one quarter, and Rocky took a 26-22 lead at halftime.

Galesburg was just 3-23 from outside the three-point line in the first half, a number that mirrored last year's shooting in the gym, when the team shot 6-43 in a lopsided loss to the Lady Rocks.  Rock Island led 41-30 at the end of three quarters, and looked like they would run away with the game, and take over sole posession of first place (by a half game) in the Western Big 6.

The Silver Streaks awoke in the 4th quarter, outscoring the Rocks 19-10, but it came just a bit short of a come-back, falling 51-48.  To start the 2nd half, Galesburg scored 0 points off of 6 Rock Island turnovers.  The Lady Rocks committed 25 turnovers altogether, while the Streaks committed 20 turnovers.  Also during the 4th quarter run by Galesburg, Rocky went just 4-11 from the free throw line in the final eight minutes.

Both teams had balanced scoring, with Sarita Goldsmith scoring a team-high 12 points.  Shavonne Brewer scored 9 points, and Rayven Morrow finished with 8 points for Rock Island.  Jessica Howard scored a game-high 13 points for Galesburg, while Jessica Lieber and Tai Peachey each finished with 8 points.  Galesburg went 6-45 from behind the arc, a number nearly identical from the same gym a year ago (6-43).

After the game, I left the gym with the WGIL broadcasters, Tom Meredith and Eric Gibson.  We left the gym from the opposite corner I entered, which took us out the main entrance of the gymnasium, an entrance I didn't even know existed in the four or five times I've been there.  It was a little farther walk, but it was good to know I wouldn't have to get lost coming to "Hoover's House" anymore.
Dr. Gyro's on 18th Ave. in Rock Island

It was bitterly cold on this Thursday night, with wind chills well below zero.  The main reason I love coming to Rock Island, is the post game meal at Dr. Gyro's on 18th Avenue.  Due to the extreme cold, I almost skipped the trip, but decided to head over, anyway. 

Greek Chicken Wrap with Medium Pepsi: $6.99
After girl's basketball games, I have much more time than after the boy's games.  The start time is anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes earlier than the boy's games.  With the extra time, I didn't have to make a swift decision when ordering, like the previous trip a week ago after the Galesburg/Alleman boy's basketball game. 

Tonight, I went with the Greek Chicken Wrap, which ended up being very messy on the drive home...because I unwrapped it to take the picture.  Despite the messiness, it was delicious, as usual.  I'm happy to report that I will be testing two more dishes from Dr. Gyro's this basketball season, with a boy's game at Rock Island, and a girl's game at Alleman still on the schedule.

Game 108 Miles:  168

1 comment:

  1. Very... Nicee... Blog.. I really appreciate it... Thanks..:-)

    ReplyDelete