Friday, January 21, 2011

Game 105: Carlyle vs. Hamilton County (Boy's Basketball)

Game 105
Carlyle vs. Hamilton County (Boy's Basketball)
Benton Invitational Tournament
(1/19/11)

My first trip to Rich Herrin Gymnasium, an annoying conversation at the hotel, checking out southern Illinois, and tipping off the second night of the B.I.T.
Rich Herrin Gymnasium at Benton


My home on the road was the Benton Super 8 near Interstate 57.  Normally, I don't notice hotel rooms, as I stay in many throughout the year. 

For some reason, this hotel just seemed dirty.  There wasn't anything that stood out in its dirtiness, just a feeling I got in staying at the place, a vibe if you will.

Since the first game at the B.I.T. wasn't starting until 6:00, I had plenty of time to kill during the day.  I woke up early to finish the IHSSN Coaches Polls, and get started on the blog for the Tuesday games.  I lost track of time, and the door swung open.  It was a few minutes past 11:00.  Check-out must be 11:00! 

As the man opened the door, I said, "Good morning!"  Unfortunately, what should have been a 30-second conversation ending with a later check-out time resulted in a 5-minute conversation.  Here's how it broke down...

Employee:  Check out?
Me:  What time is check out?
Employee:  Today
Me:  Yes, what time?
Employee:  Check out today?
Me:  What time is the check out today?
Employee:  Today....11:00
Me:  Ok, can you give me one hour?
Employee:  Checkout, 11:00
Me:  I understand.  Can you give me one hour, checkout at noon?
Employee:  Today?
Me:  Yes, today at noon?
Employee:  Late checkout is 2:00
Me:  Perfect, I will check out then
Employee:  Check out, today at 2:00?
Me:  Yes...2:00
Employee:  Late check out is 2:00....Nine dollars
Me:  That will be great
Employee:  Check out today at 2:00?
Me:  Yes!
Employee:  Ok...late check out 2:00, nine dollars.  Thank you (closes door)
(2 minutes later, door opens again!)


Employee:  Late check out is $9
Me:  That's fine, thank you
Employee:  Ok, late check out $9, 2:00
Me:  THANK YOU (very annoyed at this point)

Sites of Southern Illinois
Getting my $9 worth of the late check out, I left the hotel at 2:00.  I wanted to see some of the other towns in the area.  I just started driving, and saw a sign for West Frankfort.  I made the quick trip and went in search of lunch.

I wanted to dine at a different spot, other than fast food.  However, it was late, and I was hungry.  It was a McDonald's trip.  I opted for the Angus Mushroom and Swiss with a Coke, and drove on down the highway checking out Thompsonville and Akin.
Center Court at Rich Herrin Gymnasium
Rich Herrin Gymnasium
The first game was scheduled to tip off at 6:00, and I headed back into Benton around 4:00.  I took one last cruise around town, and then gassed up at Casey's to ensure a straight-through trip on the way back late tonight.

In addition to the fuel, I picked up some 5-Hour Energy, the berry flavor, along with some Vitamin C drops and a large bottle of water.

It was 4:30 when I arrived at the high school, and headed inside to Rich Herrin Gymnasium.  One of the workers in the gym spoke to me a little bit about the school and the gym, and then Athletic Director Ryan Miller introduced himself and showed me to my broadcast booth. 

With plenty of time before the broadcast began, I walked around the gym.  It is a huge gym.  In fact, a sign read it seats 3,970 fans.  I was in the upper deck portion of the gym on the far end from the front gate.  I walked around and looked at some of the photos of past teams, along with the large photos, including Doug Collins, the head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers and a former Benton Ranger. 

Benton head coach Ron Winemiller came up before the first game tipped off.  He talked a little bit about his team, and the gym itself.  I asked when it was built, and he said that he was just talking about that this week.  He thought the gym was built at the start of the 1974-75 or 1975-76 season. 

I met Charlotte, a friendly lady who was working upstairs next to me.  We talked throughout the night.  She recommended the food down at the hospitality room, which I would later partake in....of course!

Carlyle jumped out to a 12-6 lead after the first quarter, and led 23-17 at halftime.  Jared Linton hit a couple of three-pointers at the start of the game for the Indians.  He had 12 points at the break, and finished with 12 in the 45-30 Carlyle win.

The Indians led by 10 points after three quarters, and won 45-30.  Linton finished with a game-high 12 points, and Tyson Boehne and Matt Hilmes added 9 points each.  Clint Hopfinger and Chad Flannigan scored 6 points each to pace the Foxes of Hamilton County. 

Game 105 Miles:  5

No comments:

Post a Comment