Friday, January 21, 2011

Game 104: Carmi-White County vs. Mt. Carmel (Boy's Basketball)

Game 104
Carmi-White County vs. Mt. Carmel (Boy's Basketball)
Carmi-White County Tournament
(1/18/11)

Final night in Carmi, an interesting gas station marquee, and my favorite least-heard radio songs...



In the final game of the night, the Mt. Carmel Golden Aces took on the host Carmi-White County Bulldogs.  As I mentioned a fellow IHSS poster, The Radio Guy, in my previous blog entry, I met another fellow IHSS'er tonight, at the gym rooting on the Golden Aces.

"Acesfootball" came up and introduced himself.  He is another regular poster to the message boards, and had sent me a note before the game saying he would be at the gym.  We talked for several minutes, mainly about basketball in the region, along with some football talk.  His Golden Aces traveled to my neck of the woods and faced the Illini West Chargers in Carthage. 

Another person I met from Mt. Carmel was Kyle Peach, there videotaping the games.  He is the Director of Broadcasting at Wabash Valley College.  We spoke before and after the game. 
Carmi-White County HS Gym

The Bulldogs and Golden Aces played a tight game throughout, making for three exciting games at McDougall-Evers Gymnasium in Carmi. 

It was a tie game after one quarter, 9-9.  Mt. Carmel jumped out to a 19-15 lead at halftime.  After three quarters, the Golden Aces jumped out to a 39-27 lead, and hung on for a five-point win, 56-51. 

Mt. Carmel recorded just their second win of the season (earlier win against Class 1A receiving votes Wayne City).  Shawn Bumpus scored 15 points, Beau Grant added 14 points, and Alex Hale pitched in 11 points.  Mt. Carmel struggled at the free throw line, converting just 9-20, but turned the ball over just 10 times.  Laramie Immel scored 16 points for the Bulldogs, and Josh Capps added 12 points. 

The heater in my car will suffice
After leaving the gym, I had to put some fuel in the gas tank for the drive over to Benton for my overnight stay at the luxurious Super 8 along Interstate 57.  I stopped at the gas station/car wash/liquor store in Carmi, which had an awesome billboard promoting their products. 

Deciding to just fill up on gas, opting against the whiskey option, I forged on to Benton.  It was a long quiet trip along the two-lane highways that had me pass through McLeansboro.  About the only other landmark I noticed on the 45-minute drive was a sign that pointed to the town of Thompsonville.  If it were in daylight, I would have stopped to take a picture, denoting the Ville of Thompsons (my last name).

As I drove on, I heard some songs on the radio that I don't normally hear, as Tupac's "California Love" came over my speakers.  Here are the songs I've heard on my trip that I don't typically hear.

1)  Tupac - "California Love"
2)  Huey Lewis and the News - "Happy To Be Stuck With You"
3)  Concrete Blonde - "Joey (I'm Not Angry Anymore)"
4)  Zager and Evans - "In the Year 2525"
5)  Janet Jackson - "Escapade"

I arrived in Benton around 11:00, stopped at Arby's for a couple sandwiches off the dollar menu, a Junior Roast Beef and some type of chicken sandwich, with a large Pepsi to keep me awake while compiling the Coaches Polls....and this is my vacation, LOL!

Game 104 Miles:  45

No comments:

Post a Comment