Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Game 102: Harrisburg vs. Fairfield (Boy's Basketball)

Game 102
Harrisburg vs. Fairfield (Boy's Basketball)
Carmi-White County Tournament
(1/18/11)

Trip south includes, "The Monotone Voice of Beardstown Billy," Best and Worst of...French Fries, Gas Prices across Illinois, and my first visit to Carmi, IL.

Southern Illinois is a place I've always wanted to broadcast basketball.  I haven't made too many trips south of Springfield, and can't recall ever broadcasting any games south of the state's capital.  The only other time I've been to the Carmi/Benton area of the state was a few years ago when driving over to Mt. Carmel to pick up a large lot of Sporting News magazines I purchased on Ebay.

The plans were to leave Macomb by 11:00, which would get me to Carmi around 4:00.  I had a lot to do in the morning before setting out, though.  I had to book my hotel still, find some information on the six teams I would be covering, begin organizing the coaches rankings that had been sent in (for compiling after the games), and getting the broadcasts scheduled on iHigh. 

For so many things, I began to rush things, and it seemed as though Murphy's Law was going into effect.  Using Hotels.com, my credit card information wasn't taking, then I ran out of paper in printing off the submitted rankings.  I started to recycle paper, and the printer jammed.  Frustration really set in!  For some reason, I left Hotels.com and tried Priceline.  For some reason, it took, so my hotel room was booked.  I had to feed the printer, one sheet at a time, to not jam, and everything started to sail smoothly.

With everything taking shape, and the art of multitasking, I was able to leave about 45 minutes earlier than planned!  It was around the time of the breakfast/lunch switch over, so I decided to hold off on eating.  It would have been better to avoid fast food altogether, but not ever being home, I don't have anything to fix quickly. 


The Monotone Twang of Beardstown Billy
Taking Route 67 south, my lunch plans centered around Beardstown, and I would hit McDonalds.  It was about 11:00, and there was a small rush in the drive-through.  I ordered a Crispy Chicken Club with fries, but did NOT opt for the large-size, something I jump for on occasion.  After waiting in line for 5-10 minutes, I approached the pickup window.

I didn't notice anything at first, until the clerk at the window handed me my food.  As I reached over to put it in the passenger seat he says, in a monotone I hate my life voice, "There's your stuff."  I found this funny, that he called the food...stuff. 

After that comment, and as I went to grab my Coke, I noticed his name tag.  He was Billy.  I was in Beardstown.  It's just got a great ring to it, Beardstown Billy.  I think everyone I meet from Beardstown, I am going to call them Beardstown Billy, in honor of my seemingly depressed McDonalds friend. 

Best and Worst Of....French Fries
It's a sign that when making Best Of...lists, that you have either A) too much time on your hands; B) too much knowledge on a subject; or both.  In this case, unfortunately I have both, so I bring you my French Fries lists.

Best French Fries
1)  McDonalds:  Today, the McD's fries were perfect, slightly overcooked giving them a crunch.  It was a nice change of pace, as sometimes I enjoy the under-cooked soggy McDonalds fries.

2)  Steak 'n Shake:  They are smaller and thinner, which is what I like, and don't like.  In the car, it's a pain.  Sitting in the restaurant their great.  Even though they are a pain, they are quite delicous.

3)  White Castle:  The limp crinkle-cut fries are a pleasant change from your typical fast food fries.

Worst French Fries
1)  Burger King:  Large and dry.  The BK fries lack any taste, even when dipping in one of their sauces.  Blaah!

2)  Wendy's:  See #1.

3)  Long John Silvers:  I don't go to LJS too often, as it's grease overload, but I just don't like their fries.

As you see, I get bored and think of things while on long road trips.  After spending some time concocting my french fries list, I also took note of gas prices while traveling across the state.  Here's the gas price index for Monday January 18th.


Gas Prices (1/18/11)
Macomb:  $3.19
Rushville:  $3.19
Beardstown:  $3.19
Virginia:  $3.14
Pleasant Plains: $3.07
Springfield:  $3.05
Raymond:  $3.09
Lebanon:  $3.09
Okawville:  $3.03
Carmi:  $3.08
McLeansboro:  $3.14
Benton:  $3.14

I made a 2nd stop on the trip south of Springfield at the Raymond/Carlinville exit.  I stopped at the Shell station, address is Raymond.  They were doing some hardcore remodeling inside.  I purchased a water. An interesting picture from their restroom.

About this time, I turned the radio dial to 88.3.  It must have been a local talk show.  It was like listening to paint dry, and that's not a typo.  Ben was the studio host, and when I tuned in, I caught a 5-minute diatribe of his guest (I guess) trying to talk him into having a webcam in the studio for his show.  As the studio host, the only replies he was giving was a whiny, "Oh I don't think so," and "No."  If you've ever overheard a phone converstation on a scanner or through a cordless phone, it was like that.  At times, I thought that's what this was.
Garmin has guided me into a horror movie!

In getting closer to my destination, I had some extra time, so I decided to make a slight detour from the interstate.  Why?  I noticed a Frogtown just off the interstate near Okawville.  I wanted to get a picture of something that said Frogtown, but nothing was there.  In fact, where Garmin listed a Frogtown, there was nothing but a farmhouse, and there was a church about a quarter mile further. 
Destination: Carmi, Illinois

I turned off at the Burnt Prairie exit, and Garmin directed me down a couple of country roads.  It was an interesting route, with thick gravel, several potholes, and a lot of dilapidated farm buildings strewn about the countryside.  At the same time, a radio ad came across the airwaves promoting the "Feed My Sheep Ministry."  I just can't make this stuff up!  Finally, I made it to Carmi.

The last vacation day I took I was in Carmel, California.  Today:  Carmi, Illinois.  It's a nice place, but I'd take the California option on most days.

When I arrived at the high school, the pass gate was still locked.  I was an hour early, which is the norm for my broadcasts.  I walked around the school and tried the front doors.  Locked up like a prison.  The wrestling team had just finished up practice, and one of them was standing at the edge of the gym, which is just a few steps from the front door.  He let me in. 

I set up the equipment in the upper corner of the gym, grabbed a program and started filling out the scorebook.  Completing the scorebook, I talked with Fairfield Mules head coach Scott McElravy and got his starters and pronunciations.  We talked basketball quite a bit, and he filled me in about the south.  He mentioned the southern part of the state is down compared to recent seasons.  Harrisburg, his opponent, was one of the better teams in the south.  Afterwards, I talked with one of the Harrisburg assistants to get the Bulldogs information of the night.

It was all Harrisburg at the start of the game, jumping out to a 16-6 lead, but the Mules came charging back rolling up a 7-0 run.  It was 24-17 after the 1st quarter.  Bulldogs sophomore Tyler Smithpeters, the son of head coach Randy Smithpeters scored 14 points in the opening quarter, and knocked down four three-pointers. 

It was all Harrisburg in the 2nd quarter, taking a 42-30 lead at halftime.  Fairfield started a push in the 2nd half, and took their 1st lead of the game with 1:55 to play in the 4th quarter, 64-63.  The Mules would hold on for the 72-70 win, handing Harrisburg their 3rd loss (16-3) of the year.  Fairfield improves to 9-8 on the season.

Tyler Hutcheson had 18 points to lead Fairfield, while Andrew Atteberry scored 13 points and Zane McMeen pitched in 11 points.  Capel Henshaw scored a game-high 21 points for Harrisburg, with Tyler Smithpeters and Ryne Roper adding 18 points apiece.

Harrisburg has a young team, with three sophomore starters (Smithpeters, Henshaw, Roper). 

Names of the Game

Harrisburg:  Capel Henshaw (6'3" So.)
Fairfield:  Storm Kollak (6'1" So.)

Game 102 Miles:  298

2 comments:

  1. I don't go to BK often, but I never remembered their fries being too good. LJSilver fries are always bad. Have to disagree with you on Wendy's, because I think their fries are good.
    I'm with you on the well-done, crispy fries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the 2nd person to disagree on the Wendy's fries. It's been a long time since I've been there, I'll have to try them out again to see.

    ReplyDelete