Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Game 72: Galesburg vs. Rantoul (Boy's Basketball)

Game 72
Galesburg vs. Rantoul (Boy's Basketball)
Charleston Holiday Tournament
(12/28/10)


Just like Mattoon, Rantoul was a game that Galesburg could win or lose. After watching the Eagles play Mattoon on Monday, I felt that the Silver Streaks were the better team, and best in the pool.

Rantoul features Travis Britt, a 6'3" junior that is back in Rantoul after spending his first two high school seasons at Culver Military Academy in Indiana. He is receiving interest from Indiana, Dayton, Drake, and Illinois State.



A few people I talked to mentioned that they felt Galesburg guard Brandon Thompson was the better player of the two.

The teams battled back and forth in the first half. It was tied, 19-19 at the end of one quarter. By halftime, the Silver Streaks had overcome a Rantoul run, and led the Eagles 33-31 at the break.

Galesburg upped that lead to six points heading into the 4th quarter (51-45), had a huge 4th quarter. Galesburg outscored Rantoul 22-7 in the last eight minutes, to win 73-52.

With their sweep of Rantoul, both Silver Streaks teams will be playing in Wednesday night's championship games. It will be Galesburg vs. Teutopolis for city basketball bragging rights.

By the Numbers (Rantoul)
Turnovers: 16
Free Throws: 1-8
Players Fouling Out: 1 (C.J. Morris - 12 points)

By the Numbers (Galesburg)
Turnovers: 11
Free Throws: 12-17
Top Scorer: Brandon Thompson (18 points)

Name Game

During a break in our post game show, Jimmie and I discussed who should be our First Glass "Breakout Player of the Game." Before giving his vote, he asked me who I thought. I mentioned, Trimaine Carson (12 points, several rebounds). He said that's what I was thinking, and he was going to write down the initials, "J-C." I asked him who "J-C" was, and he replied, "Jermaine." He didn't believe me after I told him it was "Trimaine," not Jermaine. He looked at the roster and realized his mistake. Jimmie went on air and apologized for calling him Jermaine all season. I mentioned to him that I had thought I heard him say Jermaine once, but it didn't really register at first.

Our postgame meal took us back to Mattoon for some Buffalo Wild Wings with the other radio crew. Jim Wyman wanted to go to a nice restaurant, but both Jimmie and I preferred a place with TV's, since the Vikings/Eagles game was on, along with the Iowa/Mizzou bowl game. B-Dubs it was. After having the wings on Monday, I opted for the Ultimate Nachos with chicken tonight. It's a heaping plate, and I nearly finished it all. I started getting eaters remorse toward the end!

Game 72 Miles: 22

No comments:

Post a Comment