Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Game 49: United vs. Abingdon (Girl's Basketball)

Game 49
United vs. Abingdon (Girl's Basketball)
Knoxville/Abingdon Tournament
(12/15/10)

Hospitality ranks as an A+ at Abingdon High School.  In fact, AHS is always one of my favorite broadcasting stops throughout the year, as everyone is super hospitable.  I was disappointed when Toby Whiteman stepped down as Athletic Director last year, but not a thing was lost when Joe Nichols took over the role as A.D.

I've known Joe for several years now, and he is a Macomb native.  Earlier in the day, we exchanged emails, and it went like this...


Joe:  Do you need anything for tonight?
Me:  If you can arrange a recliner, that would be greatly appreciated!  HAHA....nope I am all set.
Joe:  A recliner will be waiting for you.


When I arrived at Abingdon High School, it was 5:00, and boy's basketball coach Jeremy Anderson was leading his Commandos in practice.  I headed up to the balcony where the press tables are set up overlooking the high school gym.  Nichols was up shortly after I arrived, and mentioned a recliner was being delivered.  I didn't believe him....until two basketball players delivered a recliner to my broadcast area.




 If I didn't enjoy broadcasting already....I'm in heaven here!

It was in Abingdon last spring, that Mr. Nichols orchestrated a classic prank with one of his baseball players.  One of the old shaving cream in the face tricks, that is done with regularity in Major League Baseball.  His victim was shortstop Brandon Harroun, as seen in this classic IHSSN video.


As I filled out my scorebook in my comfortable recliner, Abingdon head coach Roger Thurman looked over in amazement as he set up the camera.  I told him I always enjoyed the hospitality in Abingdon, but this certainly has stepped it up a notch.

My broadcast partner for the night was Chris Van Norman.  He arrived during the Farmington/ROWVA game, which was won by the Farmers 37-22.  During halftime of the game, I conducted my pregame interview with coach Thurman.

Nicknames
One of the Commandos is known by a nickname.  Cordan "Beep" Jones is the team's leading scorer.  I asked coach Thurman how she got the nickname, and he had no idea.  He did mention that she wants to be called Beep, not Cordan.  Her older brother, Chance, is the head boy's basketball coach at Galva.  Their mom, Lynn, is the Abingdon softball coach.

During the 3rd quarter, I found Dennis Mann scouting the Farmers in the bleachers, his Thursday opponent.  We did our pregame interview at the end of the 3rd quarter.  Afterwards, I headed back up to the broadcast setup, and Chris was half asleep in the recliner.

United jumped out to a 11-6 lead after the 1st quarter, and held a two-point halftime lead (20-18).  The Commandos soared in the 3rd quarter, outscoring the Red Storm 18-12, and led 38-32 heading into the final quarter.

In the 4th quarter, the Red Storm rallied back and took advantage of Abingdon's woes at the free throw line.  United tied the game, 42-42 to send it into overtime.  Abingdon had shot 10-23 at the free throw line in the first four quarters, and were just 2-7 in the 4th quarter.  Twice at the line on one and bonus shots, the Commandos missed, but pulled in the offensive rebound.  They scored on one opportunity, while turning the ball over the second time.

Despite their poor free throw shooting down the stretch, Abingdon made them when they really counted, going 7-10 in overtime at the line and pulling out the 52-48 overtime victory.  Beep Jones scored a game-high 23 points.  United's Gina Long scored 18 points, and fouled out early in overtime.

Foul Stats
The first 11 fouls of the game were called on 11 different girls (8 on United, 3 on Abingdon).  Taylor Toops also fouled out for the Red Storm.

First Start
Abingdon freshman Britta Combs got her first ever start tonight.  Before the game, when asked who the starters would be, coach Thurman gave me the first four and then said:  "Britta Combs is getting her first ever start, but don't tell her yet."

Game 49 Miles:  100

No comments:

Post a Comment