Thursday, December 2, 2010

Game 32: Rock Island @ Galesburg (Girl's Basketball)

Game 32
Rock Island @ Galesburg (Girl's Basketball)
(12/2/10)


Driving home tonight, I contemplated the everlasting attempted sale of my house. Before the season started, I worried about how much stress it would put on me if I didn't get the house sold, and the many miles extra I would be driving. At this point, it's very annoying, but not as bad as I had expected. Of course, we're just three weeks into the basketball season. It's an 18-week season (altogether).

What I had going through my head was not the fact of getting my house sold, and getting moved much closer to work, but the impact it would have if it was sold in the next couple months.

Sure, it's annoying driving all the way to Macomb on a nightly basis, being 50 minutes away for a home game. But...it would be a huge stress to pack up and try to get moved right in the middle of the season. My six-month contract with the realtor just expired, and I renewed for another six months. Houses typically don't sell in the winter months, so I am fully expecting a spring/summer (HOPEFULLY 2011) sale. If it does not, I will just have to go down the landlord route, and rent my house out. Anyways....let's talk basketball!

This morning I went over my December schedule, well sort of. In mapping out the month, I realized I was on pace to surpass the 75-broadcast mark by the New Year. That is the 7th week of the season. I should be at 75 broadcasts through 9 weeks of the season, to be on pace to 150 games. Also, just to compare, last year my 23rd broadcast came on December 3rd. I will be at 33 broadcasts on the same date this year. My 32nd broadcast last year came on December 21st. With that said, I am very happy with how this year's quest is going. In my third week, I am much more comfortable with how things are turning out. Honestly, I was very nervous during week one, and it actually wasn't all that fun because I was stressing too much. Things are much looser now, and it's back to being a lot of fun, especially with some of the road trips I have planned this year. It will certainly be a season to remember.

Tonight marked the second week of Western Big 6 action. Heading into the season, it seemed like an almost wide-open race, with Moline the favorite again, since they have had a stranglehold on the league the past few years. Alleman gave the Maroons quite the game in the first week, with Moline coming out on top by a point. Rock Island beat United Township by six points, and Galesburg ran roughshod over Quincy. This would be a big test for the Silver Streaks and the Rocks.

After getting to the gym and setting up, I went down to talk with Rocky coach Thad Hoover. Senior starter, Telis Garcia, dislocated her thumb at the Illinois Math & Science Academy Tournament. I'd much rather take on IMSA in basketball than scholastic bowl! Garcia will miss six to eight weeks.

Shavonne Brewer, just a sophomore, is averaging 18.3 points/game for Rock Island through four games. She really stood out as a freshman last year, and is poised to have a breakout year. On the injury front, Galesburg sophomore Rainee Sibley will miss the game after hurting her ankle over the weekend. She should be back in action next week.

Before the game, "Country" Jim Wyman visited our broadcast booth. My broadcast partner Jimmie Carr calls "Country Jim," and I haven't asked why. Wyman talked about getting mentioned in my blog from last Thursday, when we went to Ruby Tuesday's in Quincy after the GHS/Quincy game. Tonight, Jim mentioned to Jimmie that they start their own blog, since Coach Massey has entered the blogging world as well. Not a bad idea at all!

The Silver Streaks were on fire to start the game, jumping out to a 22-8 lead after the first quarter. Galesburg is a hot first quarter team, I noticed looking at their stats through six games, outscoring their opponents 124-86 in that quarter. Galesburg has scored 141 points in the 2nd quarter, and just 89 and 88 points in the final two quarters.

After that hot start, Rock Island picked it up in the 2nd quarter, outscoring the Streaks 22-9. The Rocks really took over control of the game, and despite leading, it almost felt like Galesburg was playing from behind, even leading my double-digits. The lead just kept getting smaller and smaller. Galesburg led 31-30 at halftime.

One of the boldest moves in the first half was used by coach Hoover in the first quarter. His post, Sarita Goldsmith (12.3 ppg) picked up her THIRD foul just 2:34 into the game. He kept her in most of the first quarter with three fouls, and even most of the second quarter. Goldsmith picked up her fourth foul late in the third quarter, and fouled out in the final minutes of the game. His bold move paid off! By the way, coach Hoover won his 200th game against (Elmhurst) Timothy Christian at the IMSA Thanksgiving Tournament. His overall coaching record now stands at (201-41).

Galesburg held on to a slim lead in the second half, and increased it up to three points heading into the fourth quarter. The Streaks led by as many as 10 points in the fourth quarter, winning 68-61.

Jessica Howard and Jamie Johnson each scored 13 points for Galesburg. Howard was honored before the game with a game ball for scoring her 1,000th career point earlier in the season. Rock Island was led by Sarita Goldsmith and Shavonne Brewer's 13 points.

The Streaks missed out on the triple cheeseburgers (making 13 three-pointers) again, going 10-46 from the three-point line. Galesburg was 24-36 from the free throw line. Rock Island was in foul trouble much of the game, and the Rocks went to the line just 13 times (6-13).

Name of the Game: Rock Island's AmUnique Washington gets my Name of the Game award for her, ahem, unique name.

Views from the Road: Speaking of unique, one traveler on Route 34 outside of Galesburg got into the holiday spirit by attaching a lighted wreath to the grill of their Cadillac.

Postgame Meal: Even though I try to limit my trips to the drive-thru, McDonald's was all-too enticing. I had the two cheeseburger meal with a large Coke and large fries. My shirts continue to get smaller.

Game 32 Miles: 100

No comments:

Post a Comment