Saturday, November 20, 2010

Game 11: Alleman vs. Metamora (Girl's)

Game 11
Alleman vs. Metamora (Girl's)
Galesburg Thanksgiving Tournament
(11/19/10)


Once again, I had to cram a day's worth of work into a few short hours in the office. Since I would be leaving at 3:00, I headed into the station earlier than scheduled (11:30), so I could get what I needed to get done and get over to the 4:00 game between Alleman and Metamora at John Thiel Gymnasium.



I pulled into the Galesburg High School parking lot at 3:30, and with several close parking spots in the main parking lot, I opted for the end spot, so my IHSSN magnets would be facing everyone who entered. Strategic parking!

In just thirty minutes, I needed to fill out my scorebook and set up my broadcast equipment. Since Keith Yex at WCAZ in Carthage would be up to broadcast the Illini West/LeRoy game, I took that game off. This way, I had time to wrap up any loose ends, and plenty of time for the coaches interviews, and of course...the hospitality room. Sandwiches from the Pizza House were on the menu. These sandwiches rival Jimmy John's in my opinion.

Metamora jumped out to a 14-13 lead after the first quarter, but a 21-0 run by the Redbirds at the end of the first quarter into the second quarter pushed them to a 35-17 halftime lead.

I witnessed my fourth technical foul of the young season, when Erica Phillips was "T'd" up. After a foul, she let the basketball hit the floor a little too hard. Metamora would finish with a 58-47 victory, improving to 2-1 on the season. Ally Friday had 15 points and Phillips finished with 10 points. Anne Bohnert led the Pioneers with 10 points. Keep an eye out for Alleman freshman Cierra Davis, as she has been impressive in the first few games.

After the game, I talked with Carl Sandburg College women's basketball coach Mike Bailey. He was in the gym taking a look at some talent. I am sure he would love to land Illini West all-stater Carter Wear. Her brother Craig, played at Carl Sandburg College about a decade ago. Bailey says his Chargers team is improving this year, and have begun the year (1-3). This year is number is high on freshman, not sophomores.

Game 11 Miles: 50

No comments:

Post a Comment