Sunday, February 28, 2010

Game 108: Nashville vs. Bishop McNamara (Girl's Basketball)

Game 108
(2/27/10)
Nashville vs. Bishop McNamara (Girl's Basketball)
IHSA Class 2A Third Place

After munching down my Popeye's, I headed for a gas station to pick up a bottle of water for the nightcap. I stopped at a Marathon (I believe), and was in for a rude awakening when pulling out. The station was attached to a car wash, and the parking lot was very peculiar. Backing out, I did not notice a large concrete pole behind me and slammed into it. It gave me a bit of whiplash, and scared the bejesus out of me. I got out, and surveyed the damage...and there was none. None whatsoever. Obviously it didn't phase the concrete, nor was my Explorer damaged, I scanned it for a couple minutes and found no sign of anything.

When I arrived back at Redbird Arena, I took a look at my back bumper again, and saw a very little ding and concrete mark, but I had to look twice, and hard to find it. There were a few members of the media along press row, including David Adam from the Quincy Herald-Whig. Not too long after I arrived back at the gym, Keith Yex from WCAZ (Carthage) showed up, and chatted about his years covering Carthage/Illini West at the state finals, and how it felt weird for him coming over as an observer and not working.

Jim Taylor also stopped in to talk, and was looking on some perspective on the Camp Pt. Central boy's team, which he will be broadcasting next week at the Class 1A B-PC Sectional when they play Orion.

Jeff Findley from Bloomington stopped by to talk. He is in charge of public relations for the State Farm Classic in town, and talked about the field from last year, and a little bit of insight on the selection process for the tournament.

Fithian Oakwood girl's basketball coach Rick Bough dropped by to say hello. Bough has been blessed with All-Stater Amy Martin for four years. The senior was named the Champaign News-Gazette Player of the Year, and twice scored 40+ points in a game this season. In a game where she scored 47 points, she electrified the opposing defense for 20 points in one QUARTER! I don't think I scored 20 points my entire high school CAREER!

After watching Bishop McNamara against Bloomington Central Catholic, I was confused on how to take the Lady Irish. I didn't know if BCC was that good (which they were), or if I had just overrated Bishop Mac throughout the season. Just like the night before, the Irish just sort of lacked any intensity, any passion on the floor.

The Hornettes took advantage from the get-go, taking a 14-7 lead after the first quarter. Jennifer Moeller had three field goals in the first quarter. Bishop Mac made a resurgence in the second quarter, by outscoring Nashville 12-8 and it was a three-point game at halftime, with Nashville on top (22-19).

Bishop McNamara held one lead the entire game, a two-point edge with 6:22 to play in the first quarter. Nashville led by as many as 11 points with 5:41 to play before halftime, before a nice Irish run to cut it down to three.

The offense was stagnant for the Irish in the third quarter, not scoring a basket until 2:50 to play in the quarter, and the Belinda Schaffsma bucket was the only points scored by Bishop Mac in the frame, while the Hornettes scored nine points to lead (31-21) going into the final frame.

Erika Tatum unleashed some offense in the fourth quarter, scoring 11 points, but it was not enough to come back, and Nashville would claim the 3rd place trophy with a 44-35 win. Nashville was led by; Jenna Morris (13 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists), Jennifer Moeller (11 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists), and Melanie Rhine (10 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists). Bishop McNamara was led by Erika Tatum's (16 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals).

The Quest File Notes
Game 108
Date: 2/27/10
Result: Nashville leads Bishop McNamara from beginning to end, pulling off a 44-35 win for the 3rd place trophy in Class 2A.
Miles: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment