Sunday, January 31, 2010

Game 78: Geneseo @ Galesburg (Boy's Basketball)

Game 78
(1/30/10)
Geneseo @ Galesburg (Boy's Basketball)

As I headed back across town from Knox to Galesburg High School, I made a run to Casey's for a Gatorade and some mints. During my wait in line, the guy behind me gets a phone call. He answers, and then says, "I'll call you later....I'm at work." I found this odd, as did the clerk at the register who gave him a very funny, quizzical (is that a word?) look. He just said, "Technically I am working."

I got the gym shortly after tipoff of the sophomore game. My broadcast partner Jimmie Carr was already in the booth, and had already done his pregame talk with Geneseo coach Dave Martin. Jimmie interviews all of the opposing coaches on the boy's games, while Gary Petersen or I will interview Streaks head coach Mike Reynolds. Jimmie conducts the postgame interview.

I had to hurredly get things ready, setting up my laptop, and filling out my scorebook, while also trying to track down coach Reynolds. Normally, Reynolds stands in the tunnel between the locker room and the gym. He was not there, but in the stands. I tried to head him off at halftime, but he had already gone in the locker room.

I waited on the floor and talked with Galesburg assistant football coach Brad Swanson, and assistant basketball coach Troy Noble. WGIL broadcaster Jim Lee also came down looking for Reynolds. Near the end of the third quarter, Jim mentioned something to assistant Steve Cheesman, and Reynolds came out shortly after.

Following our interview, I headed back up to our broadcast booth. Nathan Baliva was in town broadcasting for Regional Radio (Kewanee), who cover the Geneseo games. Nathan is also the play-by-play voice and Media Relations Director for the Peoria Chiefs. Nathan and I talked about the slow-down pace of the Maple Leafs, as they average around 40 points/game. We also talked a little bit about the Chiefs, and how not as many prospects would be coming through this season, unlike a season ago.

The gym was packed as the Youth Cheerleading Clinic was the halftime show, featuring future Streaks cheerleaders from kindergarten through fifth grade. These nights always bring out quite a few extra fans that aren't the regulars at the games.

As expected, it was a slow start. Neither team scored until 2:30 into the game. After one quarter, the Streaks held onto a 9-8 lead. Brandon Thompson hit a three, and Victor Davis hit three field goals in the paint for Galesburg.

The Streaks outscored the Maple Leafs, 11-9 in the second quarter to take a 20-17 lead at the break. Geneseo knocked down three, three-pointers in the first half (Devan DePauw, Sam Hamer, and Blake Croegaert). The Maple Leafs don't score much, but they do have shooters that can stroke well. Both teams were very patient in running their sets.

Chad Thompson came untracked in the third quarters, sparking the Streaks with a trio of three-pointers. Galesburg scored almost as many points in the third quarter as they did all first half, putting up 17 points out of halftime. Galesburg led 37-26 heading into the fourth quarter.

I mentioned that it is so hard to overcome a double-digit lead in games like these, but Geneseo did their best to prove me wrong, closing the game to within five points midway through the final frame. The Streaks were able to hit their free throws down the stretch (5-5), and finished out the game with a 49-34 win.

Victor Davis led the Streaks with 17 points, while Chad Thompson added 9 points. Geneseo was led by balanced scoring. Devan DePauw finished with 7 points, and Billy Hamer pitched in 6 points. The Maple Leafs finished with 14 turnovers, while Galesburg had only 9 turnovers.

The Quest File Notes
Game 78
Date: 1/30/10
Result: In a slow-down game, Galesburg prevails over Geneseo, 49-34
Miles: 50

No comments:

Post a Comment