Thursday, January 28, 2010

Game 75: Galesburg @ United Township (Girl's Basketball)

Game 75
(1/28/10)
Galesburg @ United Township (Girl's Basketball)



The Silver Streaks are on a two-game winning streak in the Western Big 6, after a brutal (0-5) start in the league. The matchup between the UTHS Panthers and Galesburg will be much different this night. The Streaks are much improved, and more confident in the "system" than the first meeting early in the season. Meanwhile, the Panthers are without one of their top players, Shanice Morrow, who was suspended for the remainder of the season in December for breaking team rules. Morrow poured it on Galesburg the first game, scoring 29 points.



I enjoy the Quad Cities games, just because I don't get back to the QC as much as I would like to. Growing up just a few miles down the road, I spent a lot of time there. With my handy Garmin in hand, I wanted to find a shortcut from Route 67 to East Moline. Approaching Milan, it guided me to take a right on a highway I have often wondered where it would take me. Tonight, I found out. What a shortcut!!! This stretch of highway cut right into Moline, and onto John Deere Road. Finally, a quick and easy way to get to Moline without driving through Milan.

I do not get to Moline as often as I used to, so I was taken by surprise when I pulled up to the South Park Mall stoplight. I gazed over to see a Buffalo Wild Wings had sprouted up next to the IHOP, along with a new strip mall on the perimeter of the mall parking lot. 15-20 years ago, there were a couple fast food joints on the outside of the mall parking lot, now the entire perimeter is filled with various businesses and eateries.

Driving down John Deere Road, I took a left a few miles down the highway that took me to the Avenue of the Cities. It will forever be known to me as 23rd Avenue. In high school, we would "cruise 23rd". It's been ten years, and I can't let go they renamed it Avenue of the Cities.

The last time I broadcast a game at United Township High School was during the 2002-03 basketball season. I was covering the Geneseo Maple Leafs, and Gary Harlacher was my broadcast partner. "Harlow" was the Geneseo girl's basketball coach in the 1990's. We pulled into the UTHS parking lot on this night the Panthers hosted the Maple Leafs. He directed me to park in a lot reserved for the UTHS sports boosters. I said I shouldn't park, there but he insisted. As we walked away, a parking lot attendant told us we had to move. Harlow insisted we could park there, and the two exchanged some words while I was going toward my car to move it. Harlow barked out not to move, and we walked on. The man then blurted something to the effect, "Typical coming from Geneseo", or something like that.

The girl's play in the auxilary gym, and I had not been there before. On the campus of UTHS, I had to give my broadcast partner, Jimmie Carr a call to find out where the gym was. He told me the west parking lot, which was exactly where I was.

In the gym, I gazed around to scope my broadcast location. It was about 20 minutes before tipoff of the JV game when I arrived. I walked over to the scorer's table to ask where the radio set up. I had my choice of either end of the gym at a table on the baseline. I chose the far end of the gym below the main scoreboard. It was not easy to see the scoreboard (with fouls on it), but I was more worried about an unobstructed view, since the other end was right next to the main gates of the gym.

After getting set up, coach Massey came up for our pregame talk. We discussed the Regional seeds that were supposed to be released by the IHSA today. By 5:00, they had not yet been posted to the IHSA website. Massey thought the Streaks could be anywhere between a top seed and a #3 seed. He didn't think Galesburg would get the top seed, since three of the five teams in the complex are from the same conference (NCIC). We also talked about the technical foul that was assessed before the Peoria Notre Dame game last Saturday. Apparently, the IHSA Officials Message Board had a posting the day before this game, alerting the referees to call the technical when teams run around the entire floor, as Galesburg did last week.

When coach Massey and I began talking, the JV game was tied at 4-4 early on. By the time our conversation ended, the host Panthers had jumped out to a 28-8 lead. I then filled out my scorebook, and heard my name. I looked up, and to my surprise, my friend Bob Anderson was walking up. Bob's fiancee is Lori Buresh, who is the trainer at United Township. Lori is the older sister to Annawan All-Stater Kelly Buresh.

During the JV game, I spoke with UTHS coach Justin Shiltz. We talked about the team since the first game, and their loss of Shanice Morrow. She was suspended for the remainder of the season in December for breaking team rules. Since she is a junior, she could return in the summer, if things work out. Morrow lit up the Streaks in the first meeting, scoring 29 points.

Shiltz is in his first year as head girl's basketball coach at the East Moline school. He has spent plenty of time in the Western Big 6, but mostly on the boy's side. He worked under Larry Schulte (Alleman), and Steve Young and Marc Polite (United Township).

Late in the third quarter, UTHS had taken a 25-point lead on Galesburg in the sophomore game. The next time I looked up, midway through the fourth quarter, the Streaks had started chipping in. Credit the young Streaks, as they battled back to a six-point game (53-47) in the loss. Galesburg won the previous meeting by four points.

The varsity game was hot out of the gates, with the teams trading baskets. Just 0:35 in the game, it was a 6-4 game with the Panthers knocking down a couple layups, and the Streaks answering with back-to-back three-pointers by Jessica Howard.

The first four points scored by the hosts were from sophomore Abby VanDeventer. I did find pronouncing her name during the play-by-play, but when I slowed down reading stats at halftime and postgame, I tripped up. The pronunciation is (Van-Dee-Ven-Ter). I had assumed that it was (Van-Duh-Venter). Another tricky name was Aisah Burris. It is pronounced (Asia), like the continent.

There was quite a foul discrepancy in the first quarter. Galesburg was whistled for six fouls, before one was called against UTHS. That would later equal out in the second quarter, and Galesburg was in the double-bonus midway through the second quarter. Coach Massey after the game, used the philosophy of some old coaches saying sometimes it's good to get down in foul trouble early, because sometimes it starts to even out.

It was a 14-14 tie after the first quarter, and the Streaks outscored the Panthers 17-13 in the second quarter, taking a (31-27) lead at the break. Galesburg continued to sustain their lead in the third quarter. After a couple calls went against the Panthers, an outspoken Justin Shiltz was whistled for a technical foul. Jessica Howard knocked both free throws down, but a five-second call on the in-bounds pass gave it back to the hosts.

In the fourth quarter, United Township chipped back in to within three points, but Galesburg was able to stretch out the lead, and prevail 67-59. Tai Peachey was key down the stretch, and finished with a team-high 17 points, shooting (9-11) from the free throw line. Jessica Howard also scored 17 points for Galesburg. Abby VanDeventer scored a game-high 18 points for the Panthers, while MiKayla Fallon added 16 points.

An achilles heel of the Streaks has been free throw shooting, however not tonight. Galesburg was (19-25) from the line, while United Township struggled (12-24). The Panthers also had 26 turnovers, and Galesburg had 16 turnovers.

The Panthers are very, very young. Three starters (MiKayla Fallon, Abby VanDeventer, and Kiana Brady) are sophomores, while their classmates Halle Lewis, and Kayla Contreras saw plenty of playing time, along with freshman Laura Burrill. There is only one senior that is a contributor, that is Courtney Ledezma.

After the game, I made a stop at the Big Ten Mart. Being an Iowa Hawkeyes fan, I thought I should support the Big Ten. Okay, I know, bad joke. I picked up an All-Sport and some trail mix.

Driving down John Deere Road, I passed by Miss Mamie's Catfish House. Everytime I drive by, I think of their annoying 1980's commercial jingle, that went something like, "Come to Miss Mamie's, Come to Miss Mamie's....Catfish House." That triggered other cheesy 80's local jingles like the auto dealer that went, "The Super Van Man is Orby", and "Rudy's....Rudy's Taco's".

The Quest File Notes
Game 75
Date: 1/28/10
Result: Galesburg Wins Third Straight Western Big 6 game, defeating United Township 67-59
Miles: 174

No comments:

Post a Comment