Sunday, January 24, 2010

Game 71: Monmouth-Roseville vs. Eureka (Boy's Basketball)

Game 71
(1/23/10)
Monmouth-Roseville vs. Eureka (Boy's Basketball)
Great Western Shootout (@ Abingdon)

I missed out on last year's Great Western Shootout, but have covered the event for most of it's existence. I recall the first game I covered, I believe it was the 2002-03 season when Stronghurst Southern played Orion. It was supposed to be a great game, but the Southern Rebels pulled off a huge and surprising win.

In those years, I don't think I have ever seen the parking lot as full as it was today. The entire parking lot was full, and the small lot in the back was filling up. I parked in the back lot and made my way in.

The first game of the shootout was nearing an end, Southeastern vs. Knoxville. The Suns were winning in a blowout and I caught the last few minutes of the game. I can tell you one thing, the officiating crew of Joe Thompson, Aaron Furrow, and Jake Kilberg have certainly been the crew that has called a majority of the games I have broadcasted this year. This crew officiated the Galesburg/Macomb girl's game earlier today.

One thing that grinded my gears a little bit was the rude grouchiness of one local newspaper report who I shall not name. He resigned from the radio station a couple years ago, amid some communication problems. For some reason, most likely because I am still employed by that station, he refused to acknowledge my presence. I greeted him by name as I set my equipment down at the broadcast table, as he looked directly at me, and quickly looked down. There may be some people out there I would rather not talk to, but the lack of tact he showed, proved what type of person he is.

After getting the equipment set up, my broadcast partner John Ring showed up. He would provide color commentary with me on the Monmouth-Roseville game, and then do play-by-play for the following game, Abingdon vs. Bureau Valley.

During the Farmington/Stark County game, I went over and talked with Eureka coach Tim Meiss. His team was coming off of a big win at Olympia the night before and brings in a 9-7 record.

After our talk, I ran into WMBD's Robert Hahn. We talked about the Farmington/Stark County game, and he informed me that in girl's basketball, Brimfield held off Abingdon 54-44. Paige Spietz scored her 2,000th career point in that game.

At halftime of the Farmington/Stark County game, I went down to talk with Titans coach Chuck Grant. After our pregame interview, I made my way into the hospitality room. After my Hungry Hobo just an hour or so prior, I held off and just had a cookie and water. Abingdon girl's basketball coach Roger Thurman was in the hospitality room, coming off of that great effort at Brimfield, the state's #1 ranked team.

Just before our game, Charlie Waca arrived. Charlie does radio for the Princeton radio station, and covers Bureau Valley basketball. His son, Chris, is the head football coach at Kewanee. Charlie and I talked about how the Storm were doing this season.

Monmouth-Roseville jumped out to a great start, leading Eureka 16-15. Eureka's Josh Prosser, younger brother to Jordan Prosser (Bradley), had a big first quarter with six points. In the first half, the Titans turned the ball over just three times, while forcing eight Eureka turnovers. Monmouth-Roseville led 28-26.

The Titans would increase their lead in the third quarter, to 42-33, behind a couple three-pointers by Markus Hunter that sparked the big run. Monmouth-Roseville would hold on to a 56-49 win. Alex Bresnahan was named the game's MVP, scoring a team-high 12 points. Hunter added 11 points. Eureka's Josh Prosser scored a game-high 15 points, while Kyle Fellner added 14 points. The Titans committed just 12 turnovers. The team went to the free throw line just ten times, but made six of those shots. Coach Grant said in the postgame show, despite the low number, that's probably the best his team has shot from the free throw line this season.

After the broadcast, I packed up my computer, so John could move the equipment down as Carthage radio station WCAZ and play-by-play man Greg Phelps needed to squeeze onto press row. Illini West was playing IVC following the Abingdon/Bureau Valley game.

I made a return trip to the hospitality room, and sat with the Monmouth-Roseville coaching staff (Chuck Grant, Jim Simpson, Doug Dennison, and Jimmy Jordan). Enjoyed a big slice of pizza (not sure where from), and a Pepsi. Among our discussions were the upcoming Colts/Jets AFC title game, and coach Grant saying he was an independent NFL fan, meaning he didn't have a team to root for. He was chided for being a bandwagon rider. He did say he was a Cardinals football fan when in St. Louis, but did not follow the team in their move to Arizona.

Back to Galesburg, and the cruise back up Route 41 was pretty foggy!

The Quest File Notes
Game 71
Date: 1/23/10
Result: Monmouth-Roseville stings the Eureka Hornets 56-49
Miles: 15

No comments:

Post a Comment