Sunday, January 24, 2010

Game 69: Galesburg vs. Macomb (Girl's Basketball)

Game 69
(1/23/10)
Galesburg vs. Macomb (Girl's Basketball)
Galesburg Mid-Winter Classic

A late start led to fast driving on this Saturday filled with broadcasts. Four broadcasts to be exact. I set my alarm for 6:00 a.m. to give me plenty of time to get ready and make sure everything in order for my broadcasts in both Galesburg and Abingdon.

As I struggle to awaken, I notice the alarm clock reads, 7:18. OH NO! Quickly doing the math while barely awake, I quickly realized I would be cutting it entirely too close. I rushed through the morning routine, which does include a trip to Ayerco for the morning coffee. I took off north on Route 67 at about an average clip of 75 to 80 mph.

I arrived at Galesburg High School at about 8:25 a.m. Sure, that's over a half hour before tip time, but just a mere twenty minutes before airtime, with equipment setup to still get done. I raced inside and starting getting the equipment ready to go. Fortunately I filled my scorebook out for the games the night before. Since I was broadcasting the very next game (Alleman vs. Peoria Central), I forgot to grab the Internet broadcast equipment in the car, so I had a few minutes to grab it before airtime.

Everything was on time for my broadcast, though with no time, I was unable to grab either coaches for a pregame interview. Funny thing is, even though they had the 10:30 game, Alleman was already at the gym...they beat me there!

Macomb came into this game really struggling. The Lady Bombers are a young and inexperienced team off to a (2-20) start. Playing the 9:00 a.m. game can be very tough, even for the host Silver Streaks. The first eight minutes were pretty ugly. The teams combined for 22 turnovers...in the first quarter alone!!!

Galesburg knocked down a couple three-pointers in the first quarter and led 14-5 after one. The Streaks turned the ball over seven times, while forcing 15 Macomb turnovers. The helter skelter play continued for the first minute of the second quarter, before a Jamie Johnson three-pointer seemed to get the Streaks untracked. Galesburg went on to outscore Macomb 23-4 in the second quarter. The Streaks knocked down six three-pointers in the second quarter.

The hosts knocked down four more three-pointers in the third quarter, entering the final eight minutes with just one three-pointer needed to guarantee fans wearing their "3-Diculous" t-shirts a Triple Cheeseburger from McDonalds. That trey would come from Sarah Nelson, as she hit two of them, the only field goals by Galesburg in the fourth quarter.

Galesburg would cruise past Macomb with a running clock, by a 60-35 final. After turning the ball over seven times in the first quarter, the Streaks committed just seven turnovers over the next three quarters. They forced 31 turnovers in the game. Jessica Howard led the Streaks with 12 points, while Maddy Boyer, and Jamie Johnson added 8 points apiece. Danielle Thorman led Macomb with a team-high 8 points.

The Quest File Notes
Game 69
Date: 1/23/10
Result: Galesburg puts running clock on Macomb in 60-35 win
Miles: 50

No comments:

Post a Comment