Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Game 66: Monmouth-Roseville @ Farmington (Boy's Basketball)

Game 66
(1/19/10)
Monmouth-Roseville @ Farmington (Boy's Basketball)

I have never liked Tuesdays! I always seem so rushed. Maybe, because it is used for things that were pushed off on Monday. Historically, I have been rushed on Tuesdays, especially during basketball season with it being game night. Heck, this season EVERY night is game night, LOL.

Getting everything done, I was able to make good timing on my trip to Farmington. That meant a stop to McDonald's. Just because they sponsor our broadcasts doesn't mean I need to eat there three times a week! I picked up the Southern Style Chicken sandwich meal with a Coke. The fries were extra salty. I hate salt, and honestly, I don't even think I own a salt shaker. I have a ten-year old container of salt that rarely, if ever, gets used. That's a good thing with high blood pressure and all, though I consumed far too much sodium in this meal.

Garmin guided me down I-74 to the Route 97 exit that winds through Maquon and Rapatee. The last time the Titans played at Farmington I stopped in Maquon and enjoyed an adult soda (or two) at one of their two establishments (pop: 350).

I entered Farmington from the east on Route 116, and discovered their was a detour near downtown. I never follow detour signs, because more than likely, the detour takes you much farther out of the way than you need to be going.

Arriving at Farmington High School with plenty of time, I hiked the bleachers (at least not as many as Normal West from Saturday!). As with anywhere in Fulton County, there is absolutely NO reception of any kind. I am pretty sure, satellite technology, as advanced as we are, does not know Fulton County exists. Farmington, Cuba, and Avon are all a broadcaster's nightmare if using cell phone equipment. Fortunately there is a hard telephone line at the school, but my Verizon wireless Internet card has zero bars.

This brings me to an odd discovery. I had zero to minimal Internet reception on my wireless card, which would create problems when playing commercials (accessing the radio station computers from my laptop). I used the school's WI-FI connection, which connected to the Internet, however, I could not access any website. No Yahoo!, or Google, or Hotmail, not even IHSA.org, nothing....EXCEPT...the LogMeIn website that I plug into our radio stations. Victory is mine!

At halftime of the JV game, I went down and talked with coach Chuck Grant and did our pregame interview. We also talked about some future changes in the Titans schedule, as well as some potential changes in tournaments. Monmouth-Roseville will not be returning to the Lisle Shootout next year, instead playing a game at Quincy High School, and will also be playing Peoria Heights just prior to Christmas. There could be some changes in the Titans holiday tournament schedules in the next couple seasons as well.

After the third quarter, I visited with former Farmington head coach Tom Wierzba. He is enjoying retirement by, what else, being in the gym. He joked that now he gets to go watch the games he wants to watch, and has taken in several different games and has even done some scouting for his son, Ben, coaching at Evansville. Tom later joined me on the broadcast during the halftime show of the broadcast.

Farmington has really struggled this season, but showed absolutely no signs of those struggles in this game. The Farmers led throughout most of the first quarter. Lucas Flynn had the Titans down 7-4, as he knocked down a pair of field goals and a three-pointer. Blaize Shipp (6'1" So.) added the next five points, as those two alone led the Titans after a quarter (12-10).

The Titans battled back and tied the game at 26-26 at halftime. Alex Bresnahan and Lucas Flynn put on a shooting clinic, with both scoring 11 first half points. It was a fairly ugly first half with Farmington turning the ball over 12 times, and the Titans coughing it up nine times.

Monmouth-Roseville jumped out to a six-point lead in the third quarter, but that quickly dissipated. Trailing 36-32, Corey Dawson chucked up a three-pointer on the left wing, drained it, and drew the foul. He would convert the rare four-point play, and tied the game at 36-36.

The teams would trade baskets throughout the fourth quarter. With 0:36 to play in regulation, the Titans led 50-48 and had posession of the basketball. They would hold on to the basketball, but an errant pass would be taken away by Lucas Flynn and his pass ahead to Blaize Shipp turned into a layup and tied the game at 50-50 with 0:30 to play.

After crossing half court with 0:27 to play, the Titans called a timeout. Monmouth-Roseville, as they have all season, struggled to get a good look in the final seconds. Sophomore Drew Cole chucked up a three-pointer from 31 feet with 0:03 left that fell short and hit the base line with a half-second remaining. Farmington didn't get a shot off, and we go to overtime.

On their first posession, the Farmers turned the ball over, then fouled the Titans. Monmouth-Roseville missed both free throws. It seemed as if both teams were playing NOT to win. The Titans, after those missed shots, were (5-15) from the foul line. They would right the ship and go (9-17) in overtime from the free throw line. Despite shooting just (14-31) from the free throw line, the Titans found a way to win, holding off the host Farmers (61-57) in the extra session.

Alex Brenahan filled up the scorebook, going off for 30 points. Markus Hunter added double-digits for the Titans with 11 points. Farmington's Lucas Flynn scored 22 points, and Blaize Shipp pitched in 13 points.

The Quest File Notes
Game 66
Date: 1/19/10
Result: An ugly win for Monmouth-Roseville, holding off Farmington in overtime, 61-57
Miles: 139

No comments:

Post a Comment