Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Game 49: Annawan @ Ridgewood (Girl's Basketball)

Game 49
(1/6/10)
Annawan @ Ridgewood (Girl's Basketball)

With an impending snow storm hitting western Illinois, the radio station put me up in a hotel for this Wednesday night. For some reason, I enjoy these "getaways", even though there is more work to be done.

Let me digress even further before dissecting this big Class 1A girl's basketball matchup. Today, Andre Dawson was elected into the Hall of Fame. What wonderful technology we have, when I read the news on a Facebook status. Nick Vlahos, of the Peoria Journal-Star, had the posting when I first learned the news. It was something special for me, not just because I am a diehard Cubs fan, but because I interviewed "The Hawk" on one of the Hall of Fame days several years ago (2004 or 2005). I even took a few minutes going through old cassette tapes looking for that interview.

Later, as I drove to Woodhull for the game, I looked back on some interviews I conducted in the past. One of my most embarrasing moments in my interviewing history was an interview with Derek Jeter the day before the first-ever World Baseball Classic. As I introduced one of the best baseball players in the game, I stumbled, and introduced him as "Jerek, uh, Derek" Jeter. I still get red-faced thinking about that faux pas.

Anyway, back to the game broadcast. This game had a lot of meaning as I have been close with the schools involved. Annawan is my alma mater, and know many of the parents of kids playing for the team (one sure sign of getting old I am learning!). The game is being played at Alwood High School, one of the first stops in my broadcasting career working for the former WHHK-Galva. I also had many friends growing up from Cambridge, the other half of the Ridgewood co-op.

I had plenty of time to get to Woodhull before the snow began to fall. Getting just a couple hours of sleep, I was dragging my mid-afternoon. This meant a stop to McDonalds...for coffee...and coffee only, remember the blood pressure! I did make a stop in Galesburg at a gas station for some water and some healthy trail mix. Much better than a couple double cheeseburgers (my major weakness during the brutal basketball broadcast schedule).

Arrived in Woodhull about 20 minutes before the JV tipoff. Alwood Athletic Director Seth Spivey got me all set up. In broadcasts past, I had sat on the stage (where a phone line is), but none was needed so I get to avoid the band in my ear. My least favorite broadcast locations are stages (especially when the band is behind me).

After dropping the equipment at the broadcast table, I spoke with Matt Huber, coach of the Bravettes. We spoke at length about the State Farm Classic, Annawan's postseason path, and the recently released AP state rankings. We talked up until the tip of the JV game, and I went to set all of the equipment up.

At halftime of the JV game, Ridgewood head coach Bryan Brooks stopped by with stats in hand. We also talked in length about the Spartans schedule, the chemistry of the first year co-op, as well as the fire that hit two classrooms over winter break at the high school, which ended up causing one day of missed classes while the cleanup was taking place.

Saw many old friends and faces on the Annawan side. Unfortunately, I was unable to talk with many people since they were on the opposite side of the gym. The game started with the visiting Bravettes missing many shots and turning the ball over posession after posession, especially in the first few minutes of the game.

Ridgewood led 19-14 after the first quarter, and did a great job of taking All-Stater Kelly Buresh out of the game. She did score five points on two straight posessions, and did finish with a game-high 22 points. I told coach Brooks after the game that the Spartans did well against Buresh, and it was a quiet 22 points.

At halftime, Ridgewood extended their lead out to 43-25. Athletic Director Seth Spivey came up at halftime to talk on air about the first year co-op between Alwood and Cambridge, other sports for the Spartans, and the fire.

The Bravettes caught a little run to start the second half, but it soon ended. Ridgewood was able to hang on to their big lead, and pulled out a big 73-52 win. Annawan came in with an 11-5 record and ranked #7 in Class 1A, while the Spartans were 16-1 and ranked #5 in Class 1A. This was a statement game for the Spartans, and they passed with flying colors.

Buresh scored a game-high 22 points for the Bravettes. Jordan Jackson added 10 points for Annawan. Ridgewood placed five girls in double-digits. Ella Teel and Danyelle English each scored 14 points for the Spartans while Stephanie Williams added 13, Jena Peterson with 12, and Amanda Kruger added 11 points.

The snow was flying after the game, and fortunately it was just a trip to the AmericInn in Monmouth, and not all the way back to Macomb. I-74 between Woodhull and Galesburg wasn't too bad, except one semi passed and created a white-out forcing me into a shoulder check. As I progressed westward, the road conditions were less favorable. Closing in on Monmouth on Route 34, my speeds had decreased to 35-40 mph. I made it safe and sound to check into my hotel, grab a few hours of sleep, only to wake up at 4:30 a.m. to broadcast winter weather updates and cancellations.

The Quest File Notes
Game 49
Date: 1/6/10
Result: (1A #5) Ridgewood makes a statement in beating (1A #7) Annawan 73-52
Miles: 106

No comments:

Post a Comment