Saturday, December 19, 2009

Game 32: Galesburg vs. Davenport Assumption (Boy's Basketball)

Game 32
(12/19/09)
Galesburg vs. Davenport, IA Assumption (Boy's Basketball)
Iowa-Illinois Shootout (@ Augustana College)

Today would be a long/short day. Confusing I know. To put it simply, a lot to do in a small amount of time. With Gary Petersen, our Galesburg boy's basketball broadcaster, unable to broadcast, I would assume those responsibilities with Jimmie Carr. Jason Bates would take over the Galesburg girl's broadcast at GHS vs. Maine South.

Jason is sort of a freelance broadcaster, as he fills in for our Prairie Radio Communications stations in Canton and Galesburg, along with helping John Hoscheidt at WRMJ-Aledo, and Regional Radio in Kewanee. He was one of the first broadcasters I worked with when I broke into the business working for the now-defunct WHHK-Galva and WGEN-Geneseo.

Since our radio stations had a wide arrange of games on this final Saturday before Christmas, there was an equipment logjam. First off, Gary left his GHS boy's equipment with Jimmie to bring to Augustana for the Iowa-Illinois Shootout game. John Ring had the assignment for the United Red Storm girl's basketball games at the Knoxville-Abingdon Tournament, and later at the Ridgewood/ROWVA Tournament for the United boy's championship game against ROWVA.

I took off for Galesburg early in the morning to set up the other set of equipment at John Thiel Gymasium in Galesburg for Jason Bates. The GHS Freshman girl's were facing Rock Island, so I watched a few minutes of that game, while setting up the equipment. After that, I set off for the Quad Cities to take in some early action at the Illinois-Iowa Shootout, which was actually renamed this year (Genesis/PSP or something Shootout).

My first time at Augustana College for a basketball game(s). It seemed as though I parked in Colona with the hike I had to make. That is one thing I have been notorious for, finding a parking spot as far away from the gate as possible. It keeps me thin!

Bill Horrell met me at the door. I guess he is the media liason for the shootout. He will probably read this and correct me. I must say, the organizers of this shootout do a tremendous job. Dave Wrath and Pete Ivanic coordinate everything and make everyone has everything! Kudos.

I was able to catch the finale of the Alleman and Davenport North game, which the Illinois side won handily. Alleman was victorious (69-51) in the first game of the shootout. Keelan Prince scored 24 points, and Tyler Yeocum added 22 points. Spoke with Aaron Brenner of the Quad City Times, and I remarked how great the QC Times website was for schedules, scores, and statistics for the Quad City teams. The Geneseo High School radio station kids were also there, preparing for the Geneseo/Davenport West broadcast. I used to cover Geneseo games for the old WGEN radio station and worked with former Geneseo girl's coach Gary Harlacher. I asked about old Harlow, and Geneseo softball coach Bob Petit. Geneseo would win the second game of the shootout.

During that Geneseo game, Jimmie Carr arrived, equipment in hand. I spoke with Galesburg coach Mike Reynolds and taped the pregame interview. I had assumed not much time went into the Iowa/Illinois Shootout matchups, but I was wrong. Coach Reynolds told me he had sent scouts to two of their games, and also had tape on them. He does much more preparation than a radio broadcaster did for this game, LOL.

One thing I like about this shootout is the length of time between games (30 minutes). That gives us broadcasters ample time to run down to the hospitality room for a quick bite to eat. I did just that, and the brownies were fantastic. The pulled pork was amazing as well!

Game time! Assumption jumped out to a 16-11 lead after one quarter. Three of Galesburg's four field goals were three-pointers. The Silver Streaks jumped back into the game at halftime, taking a 27-26 lead into the break.

Both teams had limited turnovers in the first half. Galesburg with six and Assumption with 7. The Knights would outscore Galesburg 18-11 in the 3rd quarter, taking a 44-38 lead into the fourth quarter. Assumption starts three players at 6'5", and they did a bulk of the damage. Leading the way was J.T. Vonderhaar, who scored 26 points. In all, Assumption received 49 of their 64 points from their three big men.

Galesburg couldn't get over the eight-point deficit, and wound up losing (64-57). Vonderhaar scored 26 points and pulled down 6 rebounds for Assumption, while Joe Daniel added 15 points and 14 rebounds. The Streaks were led by Victor Davis with 16 points and 7 rebounds, while Brandon Thompson had a nice night as well (15 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals).

Took in the first quarter of the United Township/Bettendorf matchup before taking off. A great crowd was already on hand in the Carver Center at Augie with three games left. Division-One Scouts were on hand from Northwestern, Ball State, and Eastern Illinois.

After leaving, Jimmie and I took in Greenbriar Bar & Lounge in Moline. Great small bar where we spoke some more basketball in preparation for the holiday tournaments next week. Jimmie also shared some great stories of covering high school hoops, including one Chicago Public League coach telling him, "I know more about my team than you do", after he had posed a question during the state tournament.

The Quest File Notes
Game 32
Date: 12/19/09
Result: Assumption beats Galesburg 64-57
Miles: 185

No comments:

Post a Comment