Thursday, December 17, 2009

Game 30: Galesburg @ Alleman (Girl's Basketball)

Game 30
(12/17/09)
Galesburg @ Alleman (Girl's Basketball)

I felt a little more prepared for this game than last night's, but with three different sets of equipment, I still felt a little uneasy heading to Rock Island's Alleman Catholic High School.

Fortunately, I had a scorebook for this one. I feel lost without a scorebook. Picked up four scorebooks at Hibbett's Sports in Macomb before heading to work this morning. They are a little different than the standard green basketball scorebooks, so it is a little getting used to. These are easier to use, and feel less cluttered than the green books.

Heading north of Monmouth on Route 67, there was a terrible odor just north of town. It was so bad I held my breath. A very strong sulphur smell. I called Gary Petersen, our Galesburg boy's broadcaster, to see if he had found our other cell phone in his equipment bag. He did have it, so as to not use my Razor, we arranged to meet in Milan, since he was coming from Muscatine.

Planned to meet at Pinnochio's Gourmet Pizza, but it was so packed, I didn't find a parking spot until Maid Rite. I will have to check that pizza joint out one of these days. Picked up the cell phone, and was Alleman bound.

Alleman A.D. Steve Smithers met me at the press tables at the high school gym. I arrived about midway through the first quarter of the sophomore game, tardy for me. The broadcast setup is certainly unique here. We are set right at center court, but the press tables are about four or five rows up from the floor, and are spread across a tunnel. The tunnel goes to what appears a storage room. I was very nervous, as I sat five rows up with nothing behind me, and the floor right below.

I am glad that Selam Mulugeta is a senior. The 6'2" post is very fun to watch, but I butcher her last name more times in a broadcast than I can count! For some reason, I keep calling her Muh-loo-get-uh, while the actual pronunciation is Moo-loo-get-uh. I am even having trouble spelling out the correct and incorrect versions. Moving on.

Galesburg took a 16-13 lead after one quarter, as Jamie Johnson broke a 13-13 tie with a long ball. The Streaks held a 30-27 lead at halftime. The Pioneers committed an Un-Allemanesque 15 turnovers in the first half, but a majority came in bunches during the second quarter. Galesburg was whistled for 13 fouls in the first half, while the Pioneers were called with five fouls.

The Streaks jumped out to an 11-point lead late in the third quarter, but Alleman clawed back in. Galesburg took advantage of SIU-Edwardsville-bound guard A.J. Ledbetter getting into foul trouble. Where the Streaks had the uneven balance in the first half, Alleman started out the second half picking up fouls left and right, putting the Streaks at the line in the bonus with over a minute to play in the third quarter.

Alleman trimmed a double-digit deficit to six points heading into the fourth quarter, and both teams fought back and forth during the fourth frame. It was certainly a game of runs in the fourth quarter.

The Pioneers forced overtime, with the game tied 66-66 at the end of regulation. Galesburg had a perfect shot attempt in the final seconds with Sara Baker driving to the hoop. A lot of contact, but no call at the end.

It was all Alleman in the overtime period, outscoring Galesburg 13-7 in the extra session. The Pioneers scored all 13 points at the free throw line. The hosts were clutch at the line during the fourth and fifth quarters (21-26). Alleman would win the battle, 79-73 in overtime.

Angie Ledford was Ms. Clutch, going (12-13) from the free throw line, and scoring a game-high 24 points. Selam Mulugeta pitched in 15 points, Abbie Ledford added 11 points, and Ashley Schwenneker added 10 points. Galesburg was led by Sara Baker and Jamie Johnson with 16 points each. Alleman turned the ball over 31 times, to Galesburg's 15.

After the game, I flirted with the idea of some Whitey's Ice Cream, but also had an interest in Dr. Gyro's in Rock Island again. With my pants fitting a little tighter this week, I thought against take out, and wait until I got home for a healthier choice.

The Quest File Notes
Game 30
Date: 12/17/09
Result: Alleman fights back over 79-73 overtime win over Galesburg.
Miles: 170

No comments:

Post a Comment