Saturday, December 5, 2009

Game 21: Dunlap @ Galesburg (Girl's Basketball)

Game 21
(12/5/09)
Dunlap @ Galesburg

An early wakeup call in the Monmouth AmericInn started this Saturday. Setting my alarm for 5 a.m. I wanted to guarantee a few minutes to brew some hotel coffee before heading into work.

After a couple hours at the station, I set out to return to the hotel for a couple hours before heading to John Thiel Gymnasium for the 21st broadcast of the year. As I walked out of the station, I wanted to make sure all of my equipment was with me so I didn't have to make a return trip downtown.

As I started to pull away, I realized that I didn't remind our boy's broadcast crew to leave the Marti unit in the broadcast booth at GHS, and they might have forgot I needed in the afternoon, before their game on Saturday night.

I phoned Gary Petersen, our WAIK boy's basketball broadcaster to ask where the Marti was, and sure enough he had it in his posession. Fortunately there was enough time in between and we scheduled to meet in Altona at 11. That gave me a little bit of time to update the IHSSN scoreboard and take a shower and check out.

Why are hotel showers so wonderful? I have tried over and over to match the output of a hotel shower head, but to no avail.

Another unfortunate circumstance during the months of November through March, is my inability to sucessfully pack a healthy lunch. This leaves me to feasting on late night fast food, and gas station lunches. Today, I dined on an extremely unhealthy gas station turkey sandwich (53% daily intake of sodium). I read these labels because of my high blood pressure, and in hopes that it teaches me to stop eating these culinary catastrophes.

I walked into Thiel Gymnasium around 11:45, prior to the fresh/soph tipoff. Set everything up in our broadcast booth and prepared my game notes while taking in some sophomore action. Galesburg freshman Jessica Lieber will be very fun to watch over the next few years. She would score 22 points in today's game against Dunlap, after scoring 20 against Rock Island on Tuesday.

Had a good conversation with coach Evan Massey on today's game, a relaxing non-conference affair against the Dunlap Eagles, who returned 0 starters from last year's team. Streaks senior Sara Baker, who injured her ankle this week, is not at the gym, due to an illness. Had she been healthy, she probably could have played.

To say the Streaks started hot would be an understatement. Galesburg jumped out to a 28-9 lead after the first quarter, boosted by five three-pointers. With 13 made three-pointers, fans in attendance wearing their McDonalds "3Diculous" t-shirts, receive a coupon for a free triple cheeseburger.

The second quarter was much of the same, this time a 29-point output to lead 57-29 at HALFTIME, phew. Ten three-pointers were drained by the halftime break, and Jessica Howard had five of them (17 points). The Streaks high offensive output was boosted by their defensive intensity, giving the visiting Eagles fits, to the tune of 25 first half turnovers.

Galesburg slowed things down a bit in the second half. Credit goes to Dunlap, as they protected the ball better and handled it much better, but the Streaks intensity was not to the level of the first half due to the large lead.

The Streaks would reach that 13 made three-pointers mark late in the third quarter, and finished with 16 on the game. This total ties them for 4th all-time in the IHSA record books for three-pointers made in a game. Galesburg finished (16-58), which gives them 381 three-point attempts on the season.

Jessica Howard, after being held without a field goal at Rock Island, scored a game-high 20 points. Dunlap saw a great second half by Alissa Recker, who scored 19 points (all after halftime). The Eagles also got 10 points from Lexi Hobbs and Allyson Kemmann. Galesburg would prevail 84-73, scoring 80+ points for the fourth time in eight games. Galesburg forced 35 turnovers, while coughing up the ball 22 times.

I was wanting to check in another game on Saturday night, possibly catching the final game at the Spoon River Tip Off Classic in Bushnell, but the short sleep I got made me think otherwise, and a nice nap was in order upon my arrival home.

The Quest File Notes
Game 21
Date: 12/5/09
Result: Galesburg pours it on in an 84-73 win over Dunlap
Location: Galesburg
Miles: 106

No comments:

Post a Comment