Friday, December 4, 2009

Game 19: Galesburg @ Rock Island (Girl's Basketball)

Game 19
Galesburg @ Rock Island
(12/3/09)

Cabin fever had set in over the last few days, a lack of voice preventing me to go out on the road. Finally, after a three day hiatus from being in a gym, I would be back.

The Galesburg Silver Streaks girl's basketball team comes into this Western Big 6 matchup riding high after the (80-77) win over Richwoods this past Saturday. Rock Island comes in with a matching (4-2) record, one of those losses a five-point set back to United Township in conference play last week.

Getting a headstart on my trip to the Quad Cities because everytime I broadcast a game at the girl's gym in Rock Island I have trouble finding it. There are four entrances to this gym, but it is buried in the bowels of Rock Island High School and there is no easy way to find it, with a lack of signage directing you. The last broadcast I did at the gym was in the 2002-03 season when I broadcasted games for the Geneseo Maple Leafs.

Running low on petro, I stopped in Viola at Casey's to fill up. This is a nearly brand new (about a year old) gas station in the tiny town on Route 67. I was making good time, so when I approached Rock Island I decided to grab a Gatorade to keep my thirst quenched during the game. The first gas station I saw in Rock Island had a sign that said it served fried chicken. That was odd, so I went to the next station, which didn't serve fried chicken, but had an odd smell to it. Who would get fried chicken from a gas station?

Arrived at the gym in plenty of time, which I like to do. I thought the sophomores tipped off at 5:00, but I was a half hour off on that. Better to be early than late, especially with the interviews and equipment set up.

Rock Island Athletic Director Bob Swanson does a great job at catering to the needs of the media, and several tables are set up courtside in the gym, which I found without too much trouble. I only had to ask two people inside the school.

Spoke with Evan Massey during the sophomore game, and he showed me the Streaks are climbing the record books in one IHSA category, three-pointers attempted. As a matter of fact, through six games, the Streaks already have four of the top ten single game marks in three-pointers attempted. At Quincy last week, the Streaks attempted 59, which fell just two short of tying the record and put them in 2nd all-time.

At halftime of the sophomore game I went in search of second-year Rocky head coach Thad Hoover. By the way, many fans in attendance had shirts that read, "Hoover's House". I like it! In the meantime, talked with WGIL broadcaster Tom Meredith, as we reminisced about the Galesburg/Richwoods game and the controversial officiating in that matchup, which neither of us thought it was one-sided on Saturday.

Jimmie Carr, the recent Hall of Fame induction at Galesburg High School joined me for the broadcast. He will provide color analysis on many of the girl's games this season, and all of the boy's games again.

One thing I enjoy about the Western Big 6 is the amount of media that cover the events. Along with our radio counterparts, we also had Aaron Frey of the Galesburg Register-Mail next to us, along with Marc Nesseler from the Moline Dispatch. WQAD News 8 sports man Matt Randazzo was filming early, while I saw a quick appearance by KWQC's Dan Pearson at halftime. A filmer, from what I believe to be WHBF was there late in the game.

The Streaks jumped out to a 16-15 first quarter lead, behind Sara Baker's nine points. Rocky 5'9" Sophomore center Sarita Goldsmith had three baskets (6 points) for the Lady Rocks in the first frame. It was all Rocky in the second quarter, outscoring a cold Streaks squad 24-8 in that timespan, taking a 39-24 lead at the break.

Galesburg was held to just three, three-pointers in the first half and would finish (6-43) from outside the three-point line. With that total, Galesburg has attempted (322) three-pointers in just seven games. The state record is (963).

The third quarter was much of the same, with Rock Island using that home court advantage to another (15-8) run. The Streaks would score 26 points in the fourth quarter, but the Lady Rocks would nearly match that output with 24 points. Rock Island would prevail big 77-58 as Galesburg drops to (0-2) in Western Big 6 play. The first time the Streaks have started with two straight losses in league play since 1985.

Jessica Howard, who came in as the league's leading scorer (16.7 ppg) was held to just five points, nary a field goal. Sara Baker, who left the game with a badly injured ankle, scored 11 points along with Mickey Rodriguez for the visitors. Rock Island was led by Whitney Hoover (daughter of coach Thad), scoring a game-high 19 points. Three other Rocks would hit double-digits, LaShonica Johnson (17), Sarita Goldsmith (14), and Rayven Morrow (11).

After packing up, I headed out, fortunately not getting lost. By the time we finish our postgame shows and pack up the equipment, few souls are left in the gyms. I walked through the quiet hallways at RIHS, and found the exits. It was about 9:30, which according to my basketball schedule this time of year is dinner time, having lunch at 3:30 normally. Thanks to Garmin, I don't have to drive around and settle on the typical old fast food.

Searching the food category in Garmin, I came across Dr. Gyro's. Sounded good, and I like to try new things. Just a quick two mile drive in Rock Island, and Dr. Gyro's was nestled right across from Whitey's Ice Cream, which I regret not getting some delicious Whitey's.

I ordered a Greek Chicken Wrap, not caring what was in it, it'll be a surprise. As I grabbed the bag, it felt like a bowling ball was inside. These wraps are HUGE. It had to literally weigh 2 pounds. I bit in to a surprise, a cheese that tasted like blue cheese, not my favorite. The rest was very delicious, some onions, cucumbers, some sort of meat, and a very good vinegar dressing.

The Quest File Notes
Game 19
Date: 12/3/09
Result: Rock Island lays it on Galesburg, in a 77-58 win
Location: Rock Island (girl's gym)
Miles: 170

No comments:

Post a Comment