Sunday, November 29, 2009

Game 17: Galesburg vs. Peoria Richwoods (Girl's Basketball)

Game 17
(11/28/09)
Galesburg vs. (#3) Peoria Richwoods
Galesburg Tournament

A highly anticipated matchup between these two teams on Hall of Fame Night at Galesburg High School. A week ago, Springfield handed Galesburg a (96-66) loss, while Richwoods defeated the same team by double digits a night before this game.

Being in the gym all day, you would have expected me to have everything I needed, with no problems whatsoever. That appeared to be wrong with little time to spare. At GHS, we use a Marti, which transmits back to the station. However, the broadcasters cannot hear each other without a radio signal that is hooked into our broadcast headsets.

Covering multiple teams and using multiple pieces of equipment, especially when it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas tournaments, some pieces could get flip-flopped. We actually have two radios with the proper connections to our headsets, however, the GHS boy's equipment is kept by our play-by-play man, and the other radio happened to be with another broadcaster in Williamsfield.

Even though Williamsfield is a fairly short drive from Galesburg, time did not allow me to make that trip. The other set was in the Quad Cities, again no time. Having to use quick thinking, I phoned Radio Shack to inquire if they had portable digital radios, they did not. I needed to make a fast trip to Wal-Mart with just one game before we were set to air.

As I drove by Walgreen's, it dawned on me that they normally carry gadgets like the one I was in need of. As I stalked the aisles, I finally found the electronics section, and wa-la, there it was a portable digital radio for only $5. Now I would just need to head to Radio Shack for a connector. As I raced to the Sandburg Mall, I couldn't find the AM setting (we broadcast on AM 1590 WAIK). Woops, I had bought an FM-only radio.

Already near the mall, I decided to just check out K-Mart. They had a minimal selection, and I decided upon an analog AM/FM Walkman for $15. Walking swiftly, I headed to Radio Shack and for $6 found the proper connector. The pieces were in place. I contacted my broadcast partner Jimmie Carr, and the Pekin/Thornridge game was just starting the 4th quarter as I headed outside and back to my car.

I made it back to the GHS gym with time to spare, and thanks to the Booster Club stand, I was able to quickly get through the gates and to our broadcast location.

Everything worked out just fine, and the broadcast started with no problems. The game would be a great one. The crowd thickened and thickened with fans, former students, current students, and community members for Hall of Fame Night.

Playing the Class 3A third-ranked team in state, Peoria Richwoods, the Silver Streaks kept it close after a quarter, trailing 17-14. At the halftime break, the Streaks would get a standing ovation, leading the favored Knights 38-35. Galesburg had nailed seven three-pointers, more than halfway past their mark of 13, that would guarantee fans with McDonalds "3Diculous" t-shirts a free triple cheeseburger.

The big stat at the break was that Ball State-bound Katie Murphy, and heavily recruited Mariah Smith were held to just six points collectively. Both had gotten into early foul troule.

The second half was back and forth, with Richwoods taking the two-point lead (58-56) heading into the fourth quarter. After being held to just two points in the first half, Mariah Smith exploded in the second half, scoring 19 points after the break (finishing with 21), but struggled at the free throw line in the fourth quarter (2-5). As a team, the Knights went (3-7) in the final eight minutes. Meanwhile, the Streaks, having struggled all season at the line, were clutch at the charity stripe. Galesburg went (7-10) at the line in the fourth quarter.

Galesburg would hold on to a late lead, and prevail for the upset victory (80-77). The Richwoods faithful had an outspoken beef with the officiating, and coach Todd Hursey would even publicly comment to the media regarding his thoughts on the officiating.

Richwoods was whistled for 23 fouls to Galesburg's 15. The Streaks went (18-30) from the line, while Richwoods went (10-19). Mariah Smith scored a game-high 21 points, and sophomore guard Maggie Cunningham had 20 points. Galesburg's Jessica Howard scored 16 points, and Sara Baker and Mickey Rodriguez each added 15 points. The Streaks knocked down 13 three-pointers, guaranteeing a triple cheeseburger for fans wearing their t-shirts.

The game was so thrilling and back and forth, my voice started to crack, and by the end of the game, it started to go out. One more game remained, would my voice hold out?

The Quest File Notes
Game 17
Date: 11/28/09
Result: Galesburg outlasts Richwoods 80-77, in what turned out to be a controversial game
Location: Galesburg
Miles: Add another 5, due to the visits to the mall and Wallgreens!

No comments:

Post a Comment